Vegas News December 21, 2022
Being A Tourist On (and around) The Vegas Strip
There’s really no major news from the past week so I’ll share some info about a couple of days and nights I spent with tourists on and around the Vegas Strip.
Carbone at Aria remains a fantastic meal with great service. Reservations are often booked for a few weeks, so make reservations early. The main dining room is great for a relaxing meal but I think bar area is perfect for large and loud groups.
Ping Pang Pong
Ping Pang Pong at Gold Coast remains a great experience. The food was great as usual. It’s always great to return to the GC. It isn’t a casino I visit very often. Expect to stand in line unless you’re not an upper-tier Boyd Gaming rewards member. There are no reservations and it’s always busy.
Over the past few months, I’ve received multiple recommendations about the burger at Bavette’s inside Park MGM. It’s more expensive than expensive burgers but it was one of the best I’ve had in Las Vegas over the past few years.
Gambling for two days and nights was mixed. Strangely, a $15 afternoon Pai Gow Poker session at Palms was the most lucrative of all games I played during the week. Others in the crew actually saw success at blackjack. I ended my only blackjack session up $30. That’s a massive win compared to most blackjack sessions in the past few years.
Another surprise was watching Monday Night Football at the Park MGM sportsbook. There are plenty of screens to watch various games. The prices were typical for the Vegas Strip but the service for most of the night was excellent.
It was great to see friends that are now scattered around the country for a couple of days. It’s now time to look forward to 2023. I already have my first reservation for the year.
My monthly visit to the Cosmopolitan will resume after CES leaves town. This monthly work/play trip should end in the middle of the year when MGM Rewards takes over for Identity at Cosmopolitan.
Las Vegas Quick Hits
- Speaking of rewards club changes, when Hard Rock takes over the Mirage it will use the new Unity Rewards program. You can sign up here.
- As expected, Hard Rock received approval from the Nevada Gaming Commission to operate the Mirage. Read more here.
- During the meeting, Hard Rock CEO Jim Allen reiterated the company is destroying the volcano. You can read about plans for the Mirage here or above.
- Bally’s is officially Horseshoe Las Vegas. You can see information about the blackjack games at the property here.
- Station Casinos has its eyes set on a new casino in the Inspirada section of Henderson/Las Vegas. Read more here.
- Allegiant Stadium is getting some upgrades. Read more here.
- As usual, there will be Fireworks on the Vegas Strip for New Year’s Eve. Read more here.
- Plaza will have real fireworks on New Year’s Eve in downtown Las Vegas. Read more here.
- The Fremont Street Experience will have a “fireworks show” on the Viva Vision screen if you’re going to the party/show. See more info here.
- The World Series Of Poker is returning to Paris Las Vegas and Horseshoe (former Bally’s) next May. Read more here.
- This racing slot machine should receive approval from the Nevada Gaming Commission next week. It will be placed in four casinos. Read more here and see the game below.
- It looks like Las Vegas will host the WNBA’s All-Star Weekend in 2023. Read more here.
- Stripsteak at Mandalay Bay is open again after closing for a remodel. Read more here.
- F1 tickets might be a bit expensive but the fanfest being held across from Wynn Las Vegas might be an affordable option. Read more here.
- At one point in time, Wynn West was going to be an all-suite expansion of Wynn across the street. Read about the bombshell from Steve Wynn here.
- Speaking of Wynn’s plans that never happened. Remember Wynn Paradise Park? Read about it here.
- It does not appear as though Rio will be part of Caesars Entertainment much longer. Read more here.
- While we’re on the topic of Wynn Las Vegas, there were some standup comedy announcements this week. Steve Martin and Martin Short will be at the property in September. Read more here.
- Nate Bargatze and Taylor Tomlinson will be at Wynn Las Vegas in February. Read more here.
- Fees are going up at Red Rock Canyon. Read more here.
- A Game Of Thrones attraction is coming to Las Vegas. There’s almost no information available. You can see the teaser below and sign up for info here.
- The Jonas Brothers are returning to Park MGM in February. Read more here.
- Bugs Bunny at the Symphony is coming to Las Vegas next year. Read more here.
- Banger Brewing at the Fremont Street Experience is closing. Read more here.