Vegas News September 19, 2022
Renovations and New Construction Update
This week we will get to a new construction update as well as some current renovations. We mentioned that MGM Resorts planned on renovating a portion of the rooms at MGM Grand after the company’s recent earnings call. Some of the rooms in the newly named Studio Tower (former West Wing) will be available in late October. The rest should be completed before the end of the year. Read more here.
Once again, MGM Resorts made a virtual tour available for the new rooms. Check out a virtual view of the new MGM Grand room here.
I don’t love or hate the renderings, but Twitter responses seemed to have a strong negative feeling about the design. The opinions of the people who follow me on Instagram are a little more evenly split. The good news is that there are more towers with different rooms if you don’t like this.
G2E is closing in and companies are starting to reveal some of the products they’ll have on display. In a stunning development, Aristocrat will reveal a new version of Buffalo slot machine at the show!
This reminds me of this Buffalo demo game from G2E that hasn’t hit the casino floor from a few years ago.
A new Frank Sinatra slot machine is already available in some California casinos. Seems like this should have debuted in NJ or near the Sinatra restaurant at Encore. Read more here.
Light & Wonder will have a similar Johnny Cash slot machine on display at G2E.
I’ll be in attendance at G2E in Oct. and will share new slot machines, table games, and anything I find fun or interesting on Twitter and Instagram.
Las Vegas Quick Hits
- How does Wynn NYC sound? The company plans to bid on building a casino in New York City. Read more here.
- Back in Las Vegas, Wynn has partnered with Tom Brady for the TB12 Body Coach. This will be available at the Encore Fitness Center at Wynn Las Vegas. Read more here.
- Station Casinos started demolition on Texas Station and Fiesta Henderson. Read more here.
- Red Rock Resort opened a new video poker bar this weekend. Read more here.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton) will have a show at The Venetian. Read more about Freestyle Love Supreme here.
- Resorts World will have a Christmas Light “extravaganza” this year. Read more here.
- Speaking of Christmas fun, M Resort will have a holiday carnival. Read more here.
- Human Nature will be performing a few holiday shows at South Point. Read more here.
- Here’s one if you’re not ready for Christmas right now. Freakling Bros. is back for Halloween if you’re looking for something haunted. Read more here.
- This will probably appeal more to locals and regional visitors since this becomes a deal when seeing multiple shows. The Live Nation Club Pass will allow you entry into unlimited shows at House Of Blues at Mandalay Bay from Oct. through Dec. Read more here.
- The Live Nation deal is available around the country. You can see a list of participating venues here.
- You can see Battlebots live in Las Vegas this October. The show will be recorded at Caesars Entertainment Studios on Koval. This is located near Ellis Island – not Caesars Palace Las Vegas. Read more here.
- Lids (the hat store) is opening a 2-story flagship location on the Vegas Strip. Read more here.
Las Vegas Construction Update
The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA) released an update of its construction bulletin this week.
The report has an overview of construction that has been announced for Las Vegas over the next few years. Not everything listed will be built or finished on time.
Right now the LVCVA is projecting nearly 9,000 new or renovated hotel rooms and more than 830,000 square feet of convention space will be coming to Las Vegas in the next few years.
The list does give a solid overview of what might be coming to Las Vegas this year and beyond. Since the list starts with 2022, some of the projects are completed or underway.
- Here are a few highlights to look forward to in 2023 and 2024. You’re probably aware of many of these since they were already announced.
- Fremont Casino expansion
- Circus Circus renovations
- Miracle Mile Shops renovations
- Silverton and New York-New York room renovations
- Durango Resort
- Dream Las Vegas
- Hard Rock Las Vegas
- MSG Sphere at The Venetian
- Rio renovations
- Vegas Loop (estimated completion date still 2045)
Last but not least – Fontainebleau and All Net Arena are both celebrating 10 years on this list!
There’s one interesting item that doesn’t have a completion date yet. At some point, the city will build a new pedestrian bridge near Bellagio.
This will likely be good for safety, but it will take away one of the few options to cross the street without riding an escalator or walking stairs.