One night “escape” from London. Easily accessible by train. Those were the parameters.
After a rather short contemplation on where to spend this short get-away, American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts (FHR) benefits made the Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa – New Forest, Hampshire, England a convenient “affordable” luxury hotel choice. But, before we delve into a full review, let’s have a quick visual overview.
The room pictured was a upgrade from a Garden Room to a newly renovated Estate Room with king bed; which average around 495 sq/ft (46 sq/m). Amenities are consistent with luxury hotels including a marble bath with large bath and walk-in shower, private terrace (smoking allowed), comfortable seating area, complimentary juice and water selection, twice daily housekeeping service with turndown and bathroom amenities by REN. As expected, service levels are consistent with that of a small luxury hotel, most definitely exceeding expectations.
The main hotel dining venue The Dining Room is known for dining which spans “from the typically English to the totally cosmopolitan.”
Some of the stunning property features, as noted on their website :
– 70 rooms and suites in total with 12 of them being luxury Treehouses.
– In the 12th century the Chewton Glen estate was know as ‘Cheventone’, ‘Chyveton’ or ‘Chewghton’ and the first document mentioning the house appeared in 1732.
– Captain Frederick Marryat used his visits here to write the enduring children’s novel ‘The Children of the New Forest’.
– With over 130 acres of woodland, gardens and parkland the Chewton Glen estate now extends to the edge of the New Forest National Park and down to the Solent coastline.
– In 1990 The Spa was opened, the first of its kind in the UK. The spa currently boasts 12 treatment rooms, a 17 metre swimming pool, fitness suite, dance studio, sauna and steam rooms, Nail Studio, hydrotherapy pool and hot tub.
– We have more than 50 working bee hives of very well behaved bees.
Hope you enjoy this first glance of a very unique property in the United Kingdom, which is rather accurately referred to as “a five-star English Original.”
Chewton Glen in 8 Pictures
Stay tuned for more details about this unique and very English luxury hotel property.