May – Mother’s Day, Cinco De Mayo, the Kentucky Derby & Memorial Day provide many reasons to celebrate & show appreciation. New England’s Casino have plenty promotions, events, and news to wet anyone’s May whistle.
Visiting New England’s Casinos?
Curious about casino expansion in our region? Then there’s only one place to go – visit us at NETimeGambling! For specific casino details, visit the websites of all seven casinos: Connecticut – Foxwoods Resort/Casino & Mohegan Sun Resort/Casino; Rhode Island – Newport Grand & Twin River Hotel/Casino; Massachusetts – Plainridge Park Casino & Raceway, MGM Springfield & Wynn Boston Harbor; Maine – Oxford Casino & Hollywood Bangor Hotel, Casino & Raceway.
SECTIONS BELOW INCLUDE include:
NEW ENGLAND NEWS, GAMBLING PROMOTIONS & EVENTS, FESTIVALS, & ENTERTAINMENT
AS THE CASINO NAME TURNS
Wynn Resorts new CEO Matt Maddox reported on CNBC Wednesday that “Boston’s not up for sale. What Boston represents for us is a good growth opportunity……I like that market. I found that land. I pursued that deal. I entered the agreement with the host community five years ago. I liked that market then, I like that market now.”
Rumors have been spreading daily over the two new casinos in Massachusetts. It all started when Steve Wynn, then CEO of Wynn Resorts, Wynn, was accused of demanding sexual favors from female employees over the last three decades. Since these allegations became public, and his resignation as Wynn Resorts chairman and CEO on Feb. 6, a firestorm of speculation has whirled around Everett, MA., spreading to Springfield, MA and even Connecticut’s tribal casinos. MGM gaming officials had explored purchasing Wynn Boston Harbor. State gaming regulations only allow a casino operator to hold one gaming license in the state of Massachusetts. Selling their MGM Springfield project would then be necessary to purchase the Wynn property in Everett.
But on April 28th, rumors were set aside by Wynn Resorts when they renamed the $2.5 billion casino it’s building outside of Boston to Encore Boston Harbor, as the company continues to take steps to distance itself from founder Steve Wynn after sexual misconduct allegations.
MGM CEO Jim Murren reported to the Associated Press “I don’t think it’s likely,” adding, “It would have to be an extremely unique situation.”
MGM SPRINGFIELD WILL OPEN EARLIER
MGM Resorts International reported to MassLive writer Peter Goonan that will open its Springfield casino ahead of schedule on Aug. 24, culminating a seven-year journey from vision to operation. “MGM had committed to opening the $960 million resort casino by September, describing its project as ‘New England’s first integrated luxury resort and entertainment destination.’ Hornbuckle gave credit to the MGM Springfield team for making the early opening a reality. The two successive “relatively soft” winters and the pending, on-time completion of the Interstate 91 rehabilitation project contributed to the timely completion of the casino, he said. The casino is along Main Street in the downtown-South End area, adjacent to I-91.”
MGM Springfield listed some of its top attractions as including:
- Accommodations — A five-story boutique hotel will have 250 rooms, “inspired by the historic significance, iconic architecture and literary legacy of its urban surroundings,” MGM said. The design features tied to the region range from the quotations from the works of Emily Dickinson to Merriam-Webster-inspired arts.
- The Casino — The 125,000 square foot gaming floor will feature approximately 2,550 slot machines, 120 gaming tables, a poker room and a high-limit VIP gaming area.
- Dining experiences — The food and beverage offerings include: the Cal Mare restaurant featuring “the best of coastal Italian cuisine” and award-winning Chef Michael Mina; the Chandler Steak House featuring steaks and seafood by Meghan Gill, who was the Season 14 winner on the program Hell’s Kitchen; and MGM’s signature TAP Sports Bar; and the multiple food and beverage offerings in the South End Market on site.
- Entertainment and Recreation — MGM Springfield will provide multiple shows and venues at the MassMutual Center across from the casino. It will partner with other downtown venues such as Symphony Hall and CityStage for other venues. Other venues at the casino include: Topgolf Swing Suite, described as a a high-tech immersive golf simulation and lounge; an eight-screen movie theaer, a 10-lane bowling center; a spa; and an 8,000 square foot pool within a terraced rooftop garden.
- Retail — There will be an array of street-level retail shops on site including Kringle Candle and the first-ever apparel boutique from Indian Motorcycle, a motorcycle pioneer born in Springfield.
- Open-air plaza — the outdoor plaza and public space is being created with the historic, restored State Armory building at its center. The marketplace will feature live events, local artisans, farmers markets, and seasonal programming including an outdoor ice rink.
- Art — The works of art throughout the casino will include works by local, regional and international artists. A key exclusive exhibit is “Cabinet of Curiosities: Springfield Innovations from the Springfield Museums.”
- Meetings and events — In addition to the MassMutual Center, MGM will have approximately 42,500 square feet of space for business and social meetings and events.
MAINE TRIBAL CASINO WOES
On April 10th, Katie Barlowe reported for Casino.org that Lawmakers in the Maine House of Representatives have voted 73-67 against a proposal from the Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians that sought the opinion of the state’s Supreme Judicial Court on whether it should have the right to operate a casino. This is the third time in two years that Maine residents have rejected additional Casino Gaming. Maine is home to two gaming venues: Hollywood Casino Bangor and Oxford Casino.
The Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (IGRA) allows federally recognized tribes to operate Class I and II gaming (pull tabs, punch boards, bingo). But for Class III gaming — which includes traditional casino-style operations — compacts must be reached directly with tribes’ home states.
THRILL RIDES LEAD NEW ENTERTAINMENT VENTURES
Foxwoods, Mohegan Sun, and MGM Springfield are raising the entertainment options for New England Casino Resorts. Here are the choices that will be available as of September 1st:
- HIGHFLYER ZIPLINE – 350 Feet High. Almost One Mile Long. Speeds Reaching Over 60 MPH.
- THRILL TOWER SKY LAUNCH AND SKY DROP – reach out and touch the sky or free falling at a nanosecond per foot
- ON TRACK INDOOR KARTING – high-performance, European-style indoor karting center.
- XD DARK RIDE – a 7-D multi-sensory immersive experience.
Mohegan Sun – Cody Chapman, Mohegan Sun Public Relations Manager, announced that the 110,000 square-foot entertainment center in Montville, CT, home to the world’s largest indoor mutli-level go-kart racing track, is now part an exciting new partnership that includes the re-naming of the facility to “Supercharged Powered By Mohegan Sun.” Benefits for members of Mohegan Sun’s Rewards program, Momentum, is also a key part of the deal.
MGM Springfield will include a year-round, high-tech golf simulation experience for resort visitors. Topgolf is bringing its “Topgolf Swing Suite” to the Springfield casino featuring three simulators within a 2,800-square foot suite on the casino site. The Swing Suite will open simultaneously with the casino, and will have access from the resort’s outdoor plaza. Topgolf has a flagship location at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, and a Swing Suite venue is located at MGM Detroit. Another addition to an eight-screen movie theater and a 10-lane bowling center.
GAMBLING PROMOTIONS & EVENTS
FOXWOODS RESORT CASINO
MAY 4th – MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU HOT SEAT – Every 30 minutes, 1 lucky player in the Hot Seat will win $1,000 cash. The guests playing to the left and the right of the winner will receive $400 Bonus Slot Play. Noon – 8:00 PM
$25,000 Sizzling Summer Slot Tournament – Kick off your summer with a chance at a share of $25,000 in Cash and Prizes. Sunday, May 27 • 2PM – 8PM • Great Cedar Casino. Simply show your Foxwoods Rewards Card to enter. The top score for the entire day will win the $10,000 Grand Prize. The top 50 scores for the day will win prizes, PLUS each session winner will receive a free gift.
Sunday, May 20 • 10AM – 11PM – BE A MILLIONAIRE. EARN 1 POINT, PLAY TO WIN UP TO $1,000,000. HOW TO QUALIFY – Simply earn one Foxwoods Rewards point by paying your favorite games. Then join us in the Celebration Zone on the Great Cedar Concourse to play the kiosk game. You could win great prizes like an overnight stay, Bonus Slot Play, cash up to $1,000,000, and more.
RHODE TRIP MONTH – Our friends in Rhode Island can enjoy these exclusive offers and events.
- Make the trip to Foxwoods for your chance to win! Simply opt in at any Foxwoods Rewards location May 1 – 27.WIN ONE OF 25 FREE HOTEL SUITES | MAY 6, 13, 20, 27 • 3PM
- EARN TO WIN | May 12 – 15 – Register at any Foxwoods Rewards locations and earn 2 Foxwoods Rewards Points from Saturday, May 12 through Monday, May 15. On April 15 at 7pm, 10 Winners will win exclusive gifts and tickets!
- GREY SAIL BREWERY DAY | MAY 4, 12, 19, & 25H – Grab a cold one when Rhode Island’s biggest brewery takes over Foxwoods. Present your I.D. at the following Foxwoods locations to receive a $3 draft of Flying Jenny or a $5 can of Captains Daughter: Cedars Steakhouse & Oyster Bar, Centrale Fox Tower, Live@Atrium Bar & Lounge, Sports Bar at Race Book. Meet the Grey Sail Brewery team at Live@Atrium at 7:30pm and Centrale Fox Tower at 10pm!
- HOT SEAT | MAY 31 • 12PM – 8PM – A winner every hour! Simply play your favorite slots or table games with your Foxwoods Rewards card. Every hour, one lucky Rhode Island resident will win $2,000 cash! Reservations required, check in at any Foxwoods Rewards location to qualify.HOT SEAT | MAY 31 • 12PM – 8PM
Cinco de Mayo Hot Seat, a Gift Card Extravaganza, Saturday, May 5 • Noon – 8:00 PM. Every hour, the Prize Patrol will select 100 lucky winners, who receive a gift card from brands such as Amazon, Stop & Shop, Tanger Outlets, and more ranging from $50 – $500.
Bright Lights Giveaway – Thursday, March 29th – Sunday, June 24th. Swipe your Momentum card once a day at any promotional kiosk and you could be bursting with excitement with Momentum Dollars or up to $1,000 in FREE SLOT PLAY.
Friday, May 11th – Play your favorite slots, table games or wager in Race Book from 6:00am to Midnight to receive DOUBLE MOMENTUM DOLLARS & DOUBLE STATUS POINTS
Virtual Racing – May 5th & 19th – Simply earn at least one Status Point while playing your favorite slot machines during the hour prior to each Virtual Race to be eligible. Choose the winning horse on the Mohegan Sun Circuit and win your share of $5,000 IN FREE SLOT PLAY!
$45,000 Memorial Day Free Slot Play Sweepstakes – $45,000 Memorial Day Free Slot Play Sweepstakes. WIN: Saturday, May 26, Sunday, May 27 & Monday, May 28 from 12PM-9PM; 6 winners every hour win $250 in Free Slot Play!
$117,500 Free Play Hot Seat Giveaway – $117,500 Free Play Hot Seat Giveaway
WIN: Daily May 15 – June 30 from 12PM-9PM; 1 winner every hour wins $250 in Free Slot Play!
$400,000 Same Day-Future Play Free Play Sweepstakes Tuesdays through Thursdays in April from 12pm-8pm; 10 WINNERS EVERY 1/2 HOUR Winners receive $100 SAME DAY SLOT PLAY and $100 FUTURE PLAY FREE SLOT PLAY!
Mother’s Day Giveaway – May 13th –
Mother’s Day Brunch (5/13): $26.99 Kids Under 12: $14.99
Enjoy Crab Legs, Smoked Salmon, Ribs, and so much more during this special Brunch offering!
HOLLYWOOD CASINO IS PLEASED TO OFFER MAINE’S ONLY LIVE POKER ROOM offering Limit and No-Limit Texas Hold’em, Omaha, and 7-Card Stud are currently available based on player demand and availability. Click HERE for the Poker Calendar of Events.
ONGOING PROMOS: “Wicked Numbahs” – Every Friday; BIRTHDAY BASH – Fridays 8AM – MIDNIGHT ; MATCH & WIN, Saturdays 3 – 9PM, Every Sunday 1PM – 4PM, and win up to $250 in Free SlotPlay on the Ladies Night Ball Drop Board, Every Monday Play One Hour, Eat Free at Hops House 99
Derby Dash – SATURDAY, MAY 5, NOON TO 6:00PM
Mother’s Day Handbag Giveaway – SUNDAY, MAY 13, 2018 DRAWINGS EVERY 10 MINUTES BEGINNING AT 1:00PM! We’re giving away over $10,000 in designer purses!
Plus, between $250 and $1,000 Free Slot Play! These are the expensive, coveted, iconic handbags of your dreams!
•Enter for FREE!
•Earn more entries through slot and table play!
•12 lucky winners!
Twin Lobster Buffet – Thursday, May 24, 2018. 3:00pm – 9:00pm, $42.95 per person
Reservations required. Call 207-539-6705 to make your reservation today!
Prime Rib Buffet, Every Friday from 5:00PM to 10:00PM $21.95 per person
Weekend Breakfast Buffets, Every Saturday and Sunday from 8:30am-Noon. $12.95 per person,
ONGOING PROMOTIONS: 2018 Birthday Bash, SATURDAY – Super 6, SUNDAY – 16X Multiplier TUESDAY – 15X Multiplier WEDNESDAY – 15X Multiplier & Seniors Day ,THURSDAY – Missile Madness. Every Thursday. 3:00pm – 8:00pm &– Free Lunch Buffet (100 pts earned), FRIDAY – High 5
PLAINRIDGE PARK CASINO & RACEWAY
ONGOING PROMOTIONS: P OF CLUBS Fridays from 6PM-10PM. Win $100 up to $5,000 Free SlotPlay. 5 winners every hour from 6pm-10pm. If a winner picks the P of Diamonds they receive progressive prize, Play Up To $500 Sign Up Bonus
May 5th – 4th Annual New England Tequila & Rum Festival, 2:00pm
May 6th -Southern New England Women’s Expo, 11:00am
June 2nd & 3rd – SUN BBQ FEST PRESENTED BY KING’S HAWAIIAN at Mohegan Sun
May 4th 2018 – REALITY FIGHTING: A NIGHT OF MMA FIGHTS, at Mohegan Sun Arena, 7:00PM
May 5th – Broadway Boxing, at Fox Theater, Foxwoods, 6:00PM
May 8th – WNBA: CT Sun vs L.A Sparks, at Mohegan Sun Arena, 7:00PM
May 9th – WNBA: CT Sun vs Dallas Wings, at Mohegan Sun Arena, 7:00PM
May 11th – Live CES Boxing, Twin River Event Center, 7:00pm
May 20th – WNBA: CT Sun vs Las Vegas, at Mohegan Sun Arena, 1:00PM
May 24th – WNBA: CT Sun vs L.A Sparks, at Mohegan Sun Arena, 7:00PM
May 26th – WNBA: CT Sun vs Indianapolis Fever, at Mohegan Sun Arena, 7:00PM
June 9th – World Fighting Championships 89, at Fox Theater, 7:00PM
May 4th – Always & Forever: An Evening of Luther Vandross Starring Ruben Studdard Wolf Den, Mohegan Sun, 8:00pm (free)
May 4th – Masters of the Mic Feat. Method Man, Redman, Raekwon & Ghostface Killah Grand Theater, Foxwoods, 8:00PM
May 5th – Tom Jones at the Grand Theater, Foxwoods, 8:00PM
May 5th – Bon Jovi at Mohegan Sun Arena, 7:30PM
May 5th – Uncle Kracker at the Wolf Den, Mohegan Sun, 8:00pm (free)
May 8th to 13th – Cinderella at the Fox Theater, Foxwoods, 7:30PM
May 11th – Olga Tañón at the Grand Theater, Foxwoods, 8:00PM
May 11th – Maluma F.A.M.E Tour at Mohegan Sun Arena, 8:00PM
May 11th – Fab Four – Ultimate Beatles Tribute at the Wolf Den, Mohegan Sun, 8:00pm (free)
May 12th – The Yardbirds at the Wolf Den, Mohegan Sun, 8:00pm (free)
May 12th – Rick Springfield at Twin River Event Center, 8:00pm
May 13th – Music Plus Co. Presents Massimo Ranieri at Mohegan Sun Arena, 5:00PM
May 18th – Against the Current at the Wolf Den, Mohegan Sun, 8:00pm (free)
May 18th – Wayne Brady at the Fox Theater, Foxwoods, 8:00
May 18th – Farruko World Tour 2018 with Lary Over at the Grand Theater, Foxwoods, 8:00PM
May 20th – The Hollywood Vampires (ALICE COOPER • JOE PERRY • JOHNNY DEPP), Grand Theater, Foxwoods, 7:00PM
May 20th – Marlon Wayans at the Fox Theater, Foxwoods, 7:00
May 23rd – Steve Aoki | Shrine 10th Anniversary at Shrine, Foxwoods, 9:00PM
May 25th – Nick Swardson at the Fox Theater, Foxwoods, 8:00
May 25th – Keith Sweat at Twin River Event Center, 8:00pm
May 26th – Fuhgeddaboudit Comedy: With Vincent Pastore & Goumba Johnn at the Fox Theater, Foxwoods, 8:00
May 26th – Strictly Sinatra presents The Rat Pack Spring Show at Twin River Event Center, 8:00pm
May 27th – Liquid Sundays begin at Fox Tower Pool, Foxwoods
May 27th – John Fogerty and ZZ Top at Mohegan Sun Arena, 7:30PM
June 1st – Katt Williams at the Grand Theater, Foxwoods, 8:00PM
June 1st – Slayer at Mohegan Sun Arena, 8:00PM
Other casino entertainment venues include:
The Wolf Den, Mohegan Sun – Located in the center of the action, in Casino of the Earth, offers full beverage service, a state-of-the-art sound system, intimate seating and top performances by headliners. For complete schedule, click HERE.
Hollywood Bangor now offers two venues for live weekend music – 99 Hops House & the Sound Stage. Click Here for schedule.
Newport Grand offers Free shows by Tribute bands almost every weekend. Click HERE for schedule.
Plainridge Park Casino – the Revolution Lounge offers entertainment on the weekends
Foxwoods – Atrium Lounge – Live bands on the weekend, specialty cocktails and great time.
NETimeGambling is a non-monetized blog created for my personal interest and passion in the gambling industry – its history, and its ongoing evolution- mixed with my love for New England. Come share my passion and visit us.”
Robin T. Aubin (Binbin) has been involved in music all his life, including 40 years of choral conducting, and performing professionally in different musical genres since he was 10 years of age. He has performed in Mohegan Sun’s Wolf Den, Foxwoods’ Atrium Lounge, and Twin River’s Lighthouse Bar & Lounge.” (All venues in New England casinos)
Twenty years ago casino gambling became a side interest. The business, the history, the expansion across the U.S., the myths, the superstitions and innovations of legalized gambling all became a fascination. The goal of NETimeGambling is to provide a service and resource for any recreational gambler visiting New England’s expanding casino market.