Vegas News 4th of July in Las Vegas
By the time you read this, I’ll be enjoying my summer vacation on the Vegas Strip. I’ll be staying in a casino and will be as immersed in Vegas for a week. It’s always fun to be a tourist in Las Vegas instead of someone on a mission to do X, Y, Z before going home.
I’ll share some pics and videos on the twitter but mostly everything I share will be in an Instagram story. I just don’t want to clog up the twitter feed more than usual. Enough about me…let’s talk about Vegas!
Update On The Drew
The developer of The Drew, Steve Witkoff, joined President Donald Trump at the South Point to talk taxes. I’m sure that was interesting (read here) but all we care about is the future of the stalled Fontainebleau. Witkoff told the people in attendance that The Drew is (still) 75% built and will have 4,000 rooms. I believe he said the same thing last year when the property was purchased but that’s not the point right now.
He expects the entire project to cost $3 billion when it’s complete. Even though the casino is scheduled to open in 2020 he doesn’t have money secured. Witkoff also said that “he’ll pass a significant milestone in July 2019 when he closes on a construction loan. I guess the lack of money explains why Wynn CEO Matt Maddox hasn’t seen much progress at The Drew. I haven’t seen anyone working at the construction site either but I’m not in that area very often.
MGM Resorts may be sniffing around The Drew but it sounds like they’re intent on completing construction. I’ll believe it when I see it like the other construction on the north end of the Vegas Strip.
Park MGM Construction
Speaking of construction at a casino on the Vegas Strip. I took a peek at the longest construction ever during the week. The transformation of the casino formerly known as Monte Carlo into Park MGM may never end. The valet entrance is still a cluster but I’ve shared those pictures before. I decided to look for something new.
I snapped a picture on Thursday of construction on the new side entrance from The Park. Notice the smart construction guys using an umbrella to shade themselves from the sun.
July 4th Fireworks
You can catch fireworks on July 4th at the Stratosphere and Mandalay Bay on the Vegas Strip or Red Rock, Green Valley Ranch, Texas Station, or Fiesta Rancho around Las Vegas. Be ready for the pretty lights and boom booms around 9 pm.
Happy Anniversary To Legal Marijuana
Marijuana was legalized for recreational use in Las Vegas in July 2017. The dispensaries are doing great business despite the fact that it’s only legal to consume the marijuana in a residence. Well, that could be changing soon.
No – you still won’t be able to smoke or use otherwise in public or in a casino. However, there could soon be marijuana lounges in Las Vegas. You can read about it here.
Penn & Teller Taking A Break
Teller doesn’t speak with his voice. However, he can use his fingers to speak and tweet. Mr. Teller is getting surgery on his back (ouch!) and the show at the Rio All-Suite Hotel will be dark until mid-August.
So much news, so little time. Here are some more things happening in and around Las Vegas that you might also find interesting.
- Something about a time warp near Area 51. I don’t mess with the paranormal. Read more here.
- Club Fortune in Henderson was sold. This isn’t a big deal in the casino world but the sale could make this casino an entry point for a new sportsbook operator looking to get into Las Vegas. Read more here.
- Gwen Stefanie kicked off her “Just a Girl” residency at PLANET HOLLYWOOD Las Vegas Resort this week. Read more here.
- Golden Gate dumps restaurant for another casino expansion. Don’t ask if they’re going to dump the resort fee because the casino-hotel doesn’t have any resort amenities besides wifi. Read more here.
- The Wall (video) Gaming Lounge partially opened at the Rio All-Suite Hotel. It will be finished this fall. The interesting thing here is the drink options. Grab a kombucha and read more here.
- Boyd Gaming is looking to expand their regional casino empire. Read more here.
- Las Vegas has bad air quality. Probably all the ride hailing cars on the road. Read more here.
- YO! Napping pods are now available at the Fashion Show Mall. Grab some ZZZ’s for $8 per half hour. Napping in public seems sketchy but that’s just me. I can be dainty. Read and see more here.
- Local news did maths and realized that when you add the $620 million renovation price of the Palms Casino Resort to the $312 million purchase price you get almost $1 billion. Math like this deserves a click. Read more here if you’re not familiar with the Palms renovations.
- Las Vegas is talking about an extension for the monorail again. Read more here.
- The people who brought you Absinthe may bring a disco show on the Vegas Strip. There’s no location so who knows if it will happen? Read more here.
- Ray Romano and David Spade add more shows for Aces of Comedy at The Mirage. Read more here.
- Dealers at Wynn gonna get PAID. Read more here.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker?
Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork.
Please join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates.
(Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series)
Our Guest For Next Episode:
Scott Roeben of Vital Vegas
Enjoy Prior Episodes on YouTube
Please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel!
Cloth face coverings designed by independent artists,
so your personality won’t disappear behind your mask.
Shop Masks at Redbubble!
20% off sitewide for people with interesting interests. Code INTERESTS
SHOP Casino Designs – Face Coverings/Face Masks