What a great time at ZorkFest in Atlantic City last week. I’m not going to rehash the fantastic experience again. Personally, it was nice to get back to my old stomping grounds for a few days. It’s also great to be back home in Las Vegas where just going out for a donut can be a memorable experience.
Vegas news has been fairly sparse in the past few weeks. Well, that changes right now. There’s so much news that I’m having a bit of anxiety over how to share it all in an efficient manner. Here comes a week of Quick Hits From Las Vegas.
- Surprise! SLS Las Vegas may be on the verge of bankruptcy. They’ve never had a profitable quarter since opening. This really isn’t much of a surprise. Read more here.
- Luxor is renovating the East and West Tower rooms. A limited number are already available. You can see pictures and read details here.
- Wynn may have purchased the land across the street from the casino-resort and next to Fashion Show Mall. You may know this as land that was going to be home to Alon Resort and Casino. I say may have because I’ve only seen this anonymously sourced from one location. You can read more here.
- The Department of Transportation says “The Transparency of Airline Ancillary Service Fees is unnecessary…” Read more about airline fee clarifications here. This leads me to believe that resort fees won’t be going away anytime soon either.
- Ride Sharing in Las Vegas is breaking records. More than 10,000 people used Uber and Lyft from McCarran Airport on November 26. The Las Vegas Review-Journal says that this record should be broken soon. Read more here.
MGM Resorts has a pretty sweet promotion with American Express until 1/8/18. If you stay at a select MGM Resorts properties you can receive a $50 American Express credit when you spend $250 on room rates and room charges. Check your American Express account a) to activate and b) find more information.
- Punk Rock Bowling takes place May 25-28 at the Downtown Las Vegas Events Center and some nearby clubs. They just announced their initial lineup for 2018. Headliners include At the Drive-In, Rise Against, NOFX, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Against Me!, and many more. I might actually return to PRB again. You can see more bands here.
- There was once a plan to develop the Symphony Park land near the Smith Center in downtown Las Vegas for a soccer stadium. That’s not happening and the land was sold to a developer for $4 million. Nothing exciting here though. They plan on building housing and retail. Read more here.
- Zappos will be the brand name on the Las Vegas Lights soccer team jerseys. Read more here.
- You’ve been hearing about this for months. Caesars Entertainment has more details on the convention center being built behind Flamingo, Linq, and Harrah’s. Read more here.
- Speaking of Harrah’s, remember the “dirt sale” I mentioned last week? Well, here’s some more information on the sale. Caesars Entertainment sold the property but will operate the casino for at least 15 years. They have another 20 years of extensions available if they want. Don’t be surprised to see this again if this becomes a profitable way to operate a casino.
- Boise State is playing the Oregon Ducks in the Las Vegas Bowl on December 16 at Boyd Stadium. You can find more information on the game here.
- It’s only been a couple of weeks since Casino Royale announced they were raising prices on their $1 beer. Well, Rockhouse at The Venetian stepped up to offer a replacement of sorts. Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) is only $1 from 4 – 7 p.m. on Monday – Friday. This is definitely the cheapest beer at The Venetian. You can read more here.
- Binion’s has a social gaming app. You can’t win cash but you can win prizes. Read the press release here.
- Lotus of Siam reopens tomorrow. Read more here.
- Where did people take Lyft in Las Vegas this year? Well, they went to In – N – Out Burger and pot shops. You can see the Lyfties Awards for 2017 here.
- You may receive a sweet treat if you fly United to Las Vegas on United Airlines. They’re giving passengers gift boxes courtesy of The Venetian and Palazzo. While the partners are new the idea isn’t. The Cosmopolitan did this a few years ago with United. Read more here.
- Eureka! is set to open in February across the street from El Cortez in the Emergency Arts building. I’ve been salty about this restaurant since it’s taking the place of The Beat. This was one of my favorite coffee shops in Las Vegas. I’m warming up to the new spot because of their “No Crap On Tap” tagline. I like beer and will at least give them a shot. You can see more information about the restaurant chain and learn about whiskey here.
- IGT’s 4-D technology is impressive. The first Sphinx 4-D slot machines just landed at Red Rock Casino. Read more here.
Las Vegas | The Ultimate Wheelchair Accessible Destination
Super Quick Show News
- Hard Rock and Heavy Metal Festival, Las Rageous, returns to downtown Las Vegas in 2018. Read more here.
- Earth Wind and Fire has first residency The Venetian in 2018. Read more here.
- “Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man” at Paris Las Vegas has new people. Read more here.
- Circus 1903 closing at Paris Las Vegas. Read the press release here.
- Mel Brooks Returns to Wynn in 2018. Buy tickets and find information here.
- Alesso extends residency at Wynn for another two years. Read more here.
- Comedy Club opening at Rio in 2018. See Kats tweet here.
- Cosmopolitan getting a new show from Speigelworld called Opium. Read more here.
- Jennifer Lopez leaving Planet Hollywood. Read more here.
- You may have read that the Pearl Theater at Palms will be renovated. It’s about to happen. The theater will be closed until March 2018. Read more here.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker?
Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork.
Please join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates.
(Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series) All verified subscribers are entered into a MONTHLY contest to win a $50 eGift card.
As long as you remain subscribed, contest is ongoing and you have a chance to win every month.
Click==> Top Flight Deals Updated Daily
Waldorf Astoria Las Vegas – Suite Escape Stay 2 nights and get the 3rd night on us.