Vegas in the summer is fun. On Friday it was simultaneously cloudy, sunny and raining above Red Rock Casino. Saturday was super windy with major dust storms. It was difficult to look outside and see if it was cloudy or just dusty. There’s already an extreme heat advisory for next week. Oh yeah, it’s still monsoon season.
Having said that, once you walk into the casino that’s all forgotten. Guess where I am today! Let’s get to the news.
18 Fremont Plans Approved
New casinos in Las Vegas have become a rarity in recent years. Casino operators have decided to renovate existing properties like Monte Carlo to Park MGM or Old Palms to Station Casinos’ Palms. The results might be nice but the process isn’t quite as fresh and exciting as a new casino build from the ground up.
This week the casino with the working name 18 Fremont had their plans approved and may begin construction on the land once occupied by Las Vegas Club and other businesses. The timeline for building the casino has been officially revealed but should start before the year is over. For the sake of productivity, it might make sense to wait until the dog days of summer have passed.
The plans for 18 Fremont were revealed earlier this year. In case you missed it there will be 777 hotel rooms, at least two floors of gaming space, a pool deck, rooftop bar/lounge and more. The intent is to make 18 Fremont a resort – not just a casino. The initial opening date has been some time in 2020 but that will be dictated by the construction timeline.
Caesars Forum Is Not The Forum Shops At Caesars. Got it?
We first told you about Caesars Entertainment building a convention center just over a year ago. Back then the plan might have been to build behind Bally’s but that’s not the case. The new Caesars Entertainment convention center will be built behind The Linq. The convention center even has a name.
The name of the convention center CAESARS FORUM. According to the press release it’s supposed to be all caps. As a reminder, the mall at Caesars Palace is called the Forum Shops (no caps). The mall isn’t actually operated by Caesars Entertainment. Mall operator Simon takes care of the shopping destination. Word of caution: If you think you might need security or a doctor make sure you’re in the casino because Simon was slow AF to help a woman who passed out inside the Palm on my last visit.
Caesars broke ground on the 550,000 square-foot Caesars Forum (I don’t do all caps unless I’m shouting or trying to make a point) conference center this week. The only feature that I’ll touch on is that Caesars Forum will include a large outdoor space (rendering above) that will sit next to the High Roller. Hopefully, the big wheel offers some shade during sunset during the warmer months. I won’t bore you with the rest of the details (you can read them here).
Caesars expects the conference center to open in 2020. Groundbreaking for construction in Las Vegas doesn’t mean all that much. Remember when Resorts World broke ground on May 5, 2015?
Las Vegas Stadium
The soon to be Las Vegas Raiders released another rendering video showing the inside and outside of the stadium that’s under construction near Mandalay Bay. Fancy.
Hey, that’s kind of an SLS joke! Who’s having fun?! Anyway, earlier this year we reminded you that sometimes the process of turning an idea into reality takes time. A lot of time. That’s the case with the Sphere at The Venetian.
The concept of the Sphere was revealed almost two years ago, announced officially earlier this year, and may finally start construction. Maybe. MSG finally has a lease for the arena. Someday someone may build the arena behind The Venetian. You can read more here.
- This week you may have read about MGM Resorts suing people that got shot across the street from Mandalay. That’s both true and not true. This article from NBC News does a good job of explaining the mess. The topic is interesting and sensational so take a few minutes to read the details because it might be a bit confusing.
- The strange time award goes to SHOT Show for announcing that they are expanding to MGM Grand Conference center in 2020. The SHOT Show is probably what you think it is – Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade show. The show is huge and will also expand to Caesars Forum in 2021. Read more here.
- Speaking of the Raiders, Brent Musburger will do play by play for the Raiders for three years. He will announce games in both Oakland and then Las Vegas. Uncle Brent also appears on VSIN at the South Point casino and will be a member of a new sports betting show for Fox Sports 1. Read more here.
- Inferno is closing at Paris Las Vegas. See tweet here.
- I Love The 90’s is opening at Paris in October. See tweet here.
- It looks as though the name of Lady Gaga’s residency at Park MGM will be Enigma. More important is that this might not be an arena style show but a jazz and piano performance. Read more here.
- Station Casinos now has a credit card. The card bumps you to the Gold status at Boarding Pass but that doesn’t offer much. Spending money using the card will earn players club points. Read more here.
Quick Dining Hits
- Carne Vino, B&B Ristorante or Otto Enoteca e Pizzeria at The Venetian are closing tonight. Read more here.
- Blue Ribbon Sushi (Izakaya) coming to Red Rock Casino. Read more here.
- Old Homestead brings the steak to Montecristo Cigar Bar at Caesars Palace. Listen, we’re talking steak, cigars, and whiskey in one place. Read more here.
- New Palace Station buffet is open! Read more here.
Just A Few More Quick Hits
- The Star Trek convention returns to the Rio All-Suite Hotel from August 1-5. Find more information here.
- The shopping choices at Wynn Plaza look boring. Read more here.
- John Cynn won the World Series Of Poker. Read more here.
- Golden Entertainment, the owner of the Stratosphere, purchased two casinos in Laughlin. Read more here.
- The Prada Neon Dream ad campaign below has lots of downtown Las Vegas and neon goodness. Enjoy.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker?
Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork.
Please join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates.
(Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series)
Click==> Top Flight Deals Updated Daily