Vegas News this week will be shorter than usual thanks to the influx of people in Las Vegas for ZorkFest! Here is your Quick Hits of Vegas News to catch you up on what’s happening in this great city.
- You may have heard that 50,000 Culinary Union workers at 30 casinos voted to strike beginning June 1 this week. I don’t know anything about the negotiations and I’d like to keep it that way. These things often have a way of working themselves out. However, sometimes strikes happen. Read more here.
- Carne Vino and two other Mario Batali restaurants closing. Read more here.
- The Vegas Golden Knights are in the Stanley Cup final starting tomorrow night. I’m a sports fan that gave up on the NHL years ago after one of their strikes or lockouts. Having said that, this is an amazing situation. The Golden Knights started the season with the longest odds to win the championship and now the favorite in the Stanley Cup final. It’s really amazing. Evidently, this will be a classic. Read more here.
- The Las Vegas Advisor will expand its Member Rewards Book in 2019. This is an excellent way to save money in Las Vegas. Note that many of the coupons available are away from the Vegas Strip. Read more here. (Related: Vegas Deals | Las Vegas Advisor Member Rewards Coupon Book)
- I’m not sure if this is really cool or nasty. The new burger joint at Palace Station will have a “fully visible and functional butcher room” according to Eater. I’m not sure I want to watch people grinding beef while I eat. Read more here.
- It’s not even summer yet but you can bet on college football games at the South Point already. They have opening week and specific games of the year lines available. Today they will release over/under season win totals. Read more here.
- Even though casinos are trying to appeal to millennials the younger age group still find casino design depressing. They also favor online gambling to casino gambling. Read the study here.
- The Fremont Street Experience has added more shows to their free summer concert lineup. Read more here.
- Bank nightclub at Bellagio is closing. I remember this being the hotspot for locals on the strip. That was a long time ago. Get off my lawn. Read more here.
- “Absinthe” at Caesars Palace Las Vegas has been extended through 2020. Read more here.
- Have some extra cash laying around? The land across the street from Aria is available for an obscene price once again. Read more here.
- Bellagio Hotel in Shanghai opens on June 8. This non-gaming hotel is a part of Mlife Rewards like the Bellagio in Las Vegas so you might be able to find discounts. Read more about the hotel opening here and players club here.
- I lost my mind for a few minutes when I saw that you can wager on contestants participating in the 2018 Golden Tee World Championships at The Orleans in June. Read more here.
- The World Series of Poker gets underway this week. It’s free to watch in person at the Rio if you’re interested. Follow all WSOP news here.
- The New Mr. Las Vegas is returning to Las Vegas! George Wallace starts a new residency at the Westgate on June 26. Read more here.
- NBA Summer League tickets are on sale now. Most seats are general admission and you can watch multiple games for the price of a single ticket. It’s a great value for any basketball fan. Read more here.
- Suprise! Taxi ridership continues to plummet. The number of rides was down 8.8% last month. Read more here.
- MGM Resorts is no longer offering straws with every drink. You’ll have to ask for a straw if you’d rather not touch their glasses with your lips. This is an effort to save the planet and, more importantly to them, save money. Read and see more here.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker?
Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork.
Please join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates.
(Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series) All verified subscribers are entered into a MONTHLY contest to win a $50 eGift card.
As long as you remain subscribed, contest is ongoing and you have a chance to win every month.