As Caesars Turns: Get Ready For Eldorado Palace!
No introduction this week. We’re going right into the strange week in “As Caesars Turns.” On Thursday night the New York Post reported that “Icahn, Caesars reject too-low takeover offer from Eldorado Resorts.” While the article mentions that the deal is still being negotiated and close to happening, the headline was slightly misleading. (Hence, our title this week: “Caesars Almost Sold.”)
Later on Thursday night and Friday morning, there were multiple reports that Eldorado Resorts was closing in on a merger with Caesars Entertainment. Evidently, a deal is imminent and we could hear details as soon as next week.
There’s a lot of questions with this potential deal. Will this deal create a monopoly? Will Rio be included in the deal or sold separately? Will Planet Hollywood be sold? Will Eldorado keep all of the Atlantic City casinos? Will William Hill operate the sports books? Will the name remain Caesars Entertainment or will it change? What will happen with the World Series of Poker? Will Caesars Palace be pager friendly?
Caesars Almost Sold?
These are only a few questions. It looks like we’ll hear something quickly. Get ready for another action-packed episode of “As Caesars Turns” soon! Perhaps, we will actually have an answer to the question: “Is Caesars almost sold?”
Fontainebleau Went Bankrupt 10 Years Ago Today
Fontainebleau Las Vegas officially filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection 10 years ago today. They stopped construction prior to the announcement but this marks the 10 year anniversary of the big blue monstrosity being dormant. The mostly finished luxury casino resort has been sold twice since and the completion is still at least three years away.
Drew Las Vegas may become a reality using whatever they can from the Fontainebleau structure. The integrated resort might open by 2022. Then again, maybe it won’t. They have to start construction for that to happen.
The CEO of the Plaza, Jonathan Jossel, reminded me that they purchased much of the furniture from Fontainebleau after filing for bankruptcy. Jossel also sent a subtle reminder that some Plaza rooms are getting new furniture…
Plaza Upgrading Rooms
The Plaza is wrapping up a $15 million renovation that will transform more than 100 hotel rooms and suites on the top floors of the North Tower. The new Luxe Rooms have a similar design as the Plaza renovated its pool suites. One unique feature in these rooms is the addition of Amazon Echo Dot within the alarm clock.
Plaza Luxe Room Features
This feature allows guest to use general Alexa commands to check the weather, play music, etc. Guests may also use Alexa to contact hotel staff for assistance, such as requesting housekeeping, reserving a pool cabana, or making dinner reservations at Oscar’s Steakhouse. If you don’t want the device listening to you’re while in the room just unplug it.
The most important feature of these rooms is definitely the mini coffee maker. Too many hotels have removed coffee makers forcing people to waddle downstairs just to get that sweet first cup of the day.
While we’re talking about the Plaza, they’re going to have fireworks on July 4th. Read about it here.
Rumor of the week: SLS Las Vegas will become Sahara again
A version of this rumor has been around since SLS Las Vegas was sold to the Meruelo Group. Most onlookers, including myself, have been focused on the name Grand Sahara since that ties in the working name and “Grand” name from the other Meruelo group casino in Reno named the Grand Sierra.
Vital Vegas is saying that the name will become the Sahara Hotel and Casino. Yippee?
Personally, I don’t care about the name of a casino because that doesn’t make blackjack, video poker, and blackjack rules any better. It doesn’t improve the restaurants, bars or any other part of the experience. Those are things I care about.
Odds of this rumor being true: The name will very likely change. We should know more about this around the time the renovations are complete. I’d give Sahara (no Grand) a 97% chance of happening. There can always be a change of heart to use the “grand” name.
Las Vegas Is Stoked For Soccer
Last week we told you that MGM Resorts CEO Jim Murren expects to see an MLS soccer team in Las Vegas in the next couple of years. This week we have multiple plans to have an MLS soccer team play in Las Vegas (once again).
Bill Foley, owner of the Vegas Golden Knights wants to bring a team to Las Vegas to play at the Raiders football stadium. Meanwhile, Field of Schemes has details on the other attempt to build a new stadium in downtown Las Vegas. The name of this article is “Vegas signs agreement with somebody to propose soccer stadium costing something and paid for somehow.”
Murren is definitely tapped into Foley via the Golden Knights. It’s not difficult to imagine that this group has more of a grasp on how to make this happen.
Quick Hits – All The Vegas News You Can Use
There is so much news happening all over Las Vegas right now. Sometimes the topic might be enough and sometimes you might want to read more about it. Enter Quick Hits – a slot machine that currently hates me – for all of the Vegas news you can use.
- The Metarama Gaming + Music Festival is coming to the Las Vegas Festival Grounds on October 19 and 20. Read more here.
- Expedia might start charging a commission on resort fees. You love this topic. Read more here.
- Fremont Street Experience now has a Steve Aoki video show. Read more here if you’re in the house.
- Primrose and NoMad restaurant at Park MGM have cut back their hours of operation. Read more here.
- Somebody won a record $1.64 million progressive jackpot playing Pai Gow Poker at Paris Las Vegas. Read more here.
- Jeopardy James from Las Vegas finally lost. Read more here.
- The Mexican restaurant next to the World’s largest strip club is expanding to Tivoli Village. No word if Sapphire is expanding too. Read more here.
- The Golden Tee World Championship is taking place at The Orleans from June 21 through 23. You can watch it in person and you can bet on it now. Read more here.
- Buddy V is opening a new restaurant at Harrah’s. Read more here.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker? Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork. Join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates. (Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series)
TRAVEL DEALS – CRUISES
- 4 Night Bahamas Cruises from $204 on Carnival, only on Cruisedirect.com. $49 Deposits, Plus Up to $500 to Spend On Board!
- 7 Night Caribbean Cruises from $509 on Holland America, only Cruisedirect.com.Up to $1,300 to Spend On Board, Plus SUITES: FREE Drinks & Specialty Dining!
- 7 Night Caribbean Cruises from $1274 on Disney Cruise Line, only on Cruisedirect.com. CruiseDirect Exclusive: Disney Autograph Book, Plus Up to $1,000 to Spend On Board!