Vegas News April 4, 2021
Vegas Workers – Vaccines
Throughout the week, you may have noticed that MGM Resorts, Caesars, the Cosmopolitan, Wynn Resorts, and Station Casinos individually announce they would be offering Vegas workers and their families Covid-19 vaccines.
Later in the week, we learned why casinos started this program for Vegas Workers and vaccines. A late Friday notice from Nevada Gaming appears to be the reason. Gaming regulators are encouraging casino workers to get vaccinated before capacity limits are increased.
May 1 is the date when local municipalities will take over capacity restrictions. The Nevada Gaming Control Board will oversee occupancy limits for casinos in the state. Here’s a blurb from the notice:
“…consideration by the Board to increase gaming floor occupancy will only be taken in cases where licensees have taken measurable and material steps to vaccinate, and thereby, protect their workforce, visitors, and the community.”
Everyone over 16 will be eligible to receive a Covid vaccine starting April 5. Expect to hear more about casino capacity limits expanding in the next few weeks.
Onward and upward…let’s get to the news of the week!
Las Vegas Quick Hits
Las Vegas Quick Hits
This wasn’t a busy news week like the past month. That said, there’s always something new happening in Las Vegas.
- This was a busy week for the Rio All-Suite Hotel. Caesars only off-strip casino-hotel in Las Vegas will reopen its hotel for full seven days a week service beginning April 19. You can see a list of the venues that will be open here.
- This week, Caesars Entertainment also announced that the Penn & Teller show would also return to the Rio All-Suite Hotel. Shows begin on April 22 but won’t be taking place nightly just yet. You can see dates and more info here.
- The last Rio item is that the World Series of Poker is tentatively scheduled to return to Rio All-Suite Hotel in September. The dates are tentative due do possible capacity changes. Read more here.
- Final Caesars note – the company announced it will report first-quarter earnings on May 4. Caesars has been touting high occupancy rates but not sharing specific revenue information for those rooms. It seems as if the room prices are low or nothing so I’m curious if they’re actually making money. You can find more info on the earnings call here.
- The Venetian will be using Health Pass from Clear for conventions later this year. Read more here. If you’re really curious about the topic you can read even more on the subject here.
- David Chang’s Bang Bar is now open at the Cosmopolitan. I look forward to checking it out this week. Read more here.
- Where were you when you first heard Uncle Kracker was performing at the opening of Resorts World? Read more here.
- Resorts World released a slew of drinking and dining options open at the property. Read about them here.
- Speaking of Resorts World, the sportsbook will double as a saloon. Read more here.
- Side Piece Pizza is moving from Palms to Red Rock. It’s about time they replaced that horrible pizza counter. Read more here.
- Billy Idol is moving on from Palms too. He has a bunch of shows lined up for the Cosmopolitan later this year. Read more here.
- Possibly related to the previous two Quick Hits…when’s the last time you listened to this Ace of Base song?
- Friday night shows are returning to the Golden Nugget. Read more here if love oldies and/or hair metal.
- AEG hired someone from the band No Knife to book shows at Virgin. Read more here.
- Styx is returning to Las Vegas for two shows at The Venetian. Read more here.
- Drai’s Beach Club at The Cromwell Hotel and Casino is open again. Read more here.
- Read about the new sweet shop coming to The Linq here. I’m now in the mood for gelato. Thanks.
- Downtown Las Vegas is more than just the Fremont Street Experience. You’ll be able to see a banner to find out what part of downtown you’re lost in. Read more here.
- There’s nothing the Las Vegas newspapers like more than a train story. Read more here.
- The Pass casino in Henderson is open. Read more here if you’re curious about the locals casino with bad video poker.
- The Huntridge in downtown Las Vegas is going to be redeveloped again. Read more here.
- Something about Star Wars, Circa, and an NFT. Read more here.
- DraftKings purchased the Vegas Stats and Information Network. Read more here.
- The Big 3 will be playing all of its games at The Orleans this year. Read more here.
- The Raiders Tavern and Grill is officially open. Finally. Read more here.