Vegas News June 27, 2021
Resorts World Open
The big news in Las Vegas this week was the opening of Resorts World Las Vegas. This wasn’t a “grand opening” despite the ribbon-cutting, fireworks, celebrity appearances, and so on. This was a big deal since it’s the first casino built from scratch to open on the Vegas Strip in a decade. Having said that, consider this a “soft opening.” You can read about Resorts World opening here.
The moment we have all been waiting for…Our doors have officially opened! pic.twitter.com/j1Atvr58xp— Resorts World Las Vegas (@ResortsWorldLV) June 25, 2021
Resorts World Open
Ready For Prime Time?
Leading into the opening day a handful of tweets led me to believe that the casino that broke ground in 2015 wasn’t ready for prime time and its opening in 2021. This was confirmed repeatedly on the first day where people aired their issues. I didn’t plan on going until next week and seeing some people having issues took away some of the FOMO.
By the time you read this, I’ll either be at Resorts World or have just finished my first visit. Despite the glitches on the opening day(s) the property looks and sounds great. Hopefully, things like working credit card machines will be fixed by the time I make it to Resorts World.
Resorts World Las Vegas Looks Gorgeous
Problems aside, Resorts World is open and it looks gorgeous. I look forward to checking it out. The grand opening of Resorts World is officially July 4. We might want to withhold judgment until then. I’ll try but I can be judgy.
I’ll share some first-hand experiences next week. For the time being, let’s look at some Resorts World developments since last week. Last week, Resorts World announced the specific technology the property would have.
This week, Resorts World shared information about ordering food. The partnership with Grubhub will allow food from many of the restaurants to be delivered throughout the property.
Delivering food is fine but there might be a better function specifically for coffee people. You can order in advance and pick up your order presumably without waiting in line. I order food and coffee for pickup pretty often and have been surprised the casinos didn’t offer this as they reopened during the peak of the coronavirus pandemic.
I’m not sure when I’ll be staying at Resorts World but this will definitely be something I’ll use. I was hoping the Cosmopolitan would use a similar system to order food in advance. Standing in that hallway waiting to order Eggslut is miserable with or without coronavirus concerns.
Resorts World Sportsbook App
The Resorts World sportsbook app is available. You can download it for iPhone here.
Resorts World Gaming Conditions
I didn’t expect Resorts World to offer great gaming conditions since the big bossman, Scott Sibella, comes from MGM Resorts. Vegas Advantage visited Resorts World on Friday afternoon and found what I expected. Similar to Aria and Bellagio, all blackjack at Resorts World under $100 is 6:5 and dealt from a CSM (Continuous Shuffle Machine). Everything else sounds similar to what you’d expect on the Vegas Strip.
The information about the games is useful. I haven’t heard about drink service at the video poker bars. That’s probably more interesting to me than the paytables. Give me great drinks and I’ll see if playing bad paytables makes sense. I’m not sure I’ll have time to stop for a drink when I visit today but I’ll be back later in the week.
Las Vegas Quick Hits
The opening of Resorts World wasn’t the only news in Las Vegas this week. Let’s get to it!
I went to Urth Caffe at Wynn Las Vegas for the first time this week. The coffee was huge and delicious. It’s one of the best cups I’ve had from a coffee shop I haven’t been to before in a long time. I expect to return here again sooner than later.
- New Caesars remains fun. I think this was shared earlier this year but I can’t remember. The casino operator is no longer allowing players to be grandfathered in when limits are increased. Most properties still allow players who start playing at a lower limit to keep that minimum bet when the limits are increased. You can see the reminder here.
- The buffet at Excalibur is reopening on July 1. Read more here.
- Mohegan Sun paid a $60,000 fine for coronavirus protocol violations during its first opening night. The fine was levied, in part, because the company circulated pics of unmasked guests on social media and through the press. All of those images have been deleted and unlinked. The casino that opened in October was smart enough not to highlight any violations that might have occurred. Read more here.
- A bunch of restaurants are reopening at Mandalay Bay. Read more here.
- The Beatles Love at The Mirage will reopen in August. Read more here.
- This article should be useful if you want to watch July 4 fireworks in Las Vegas.
- The Tiki Lounge will remain at Ellis Island until Aug. 1.
- Sebastian Maniscalco is coming back to Wynn in August. Read more here.
- McCarran Airport saw a lot of people in May. Read more here.
- The Go Go’s are playing The Venetian on New Year’s Eve. Read more here.
- Hotels dot com has a sweet-looking Vegas promo happening. Read more here.
- The Westgate NFL SuperContest is back. Registration begins July 1. Read more here.
- The Big West college basketball tournament is moving from the campus of UNLV to Henderson next year. Read more here.
- It’s time for the monthly train article from the newspaper of record in Las Vegas. Read about it here.
- Las Vegas is getting a pro lacrosse team. They’ll play home games at Mandalay Bay. Read more here.
Also, be sure to join the ZorkCast Group on FaceBook. This is the Facebook group to continue the conversation from the ZorkCast podcast and TravelZork website. Feel free to start a conversation related to anything TravelZork or ZorkCast.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs, and video poker? Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork. Join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates. (Email is sent weekly on Monday and now includes EXCLUSIVE tips and commentary!)