It’s been relatively quiet in Las Vegas for the past few weeks. That changed with a simple flip of a switch and doors on a mobile phone store/studio/experience opening for business. Who knew that something so simple could send Vegas fanatics into a tizzy. Before that, let me tell a story about a kid that grew up in New York City.
I was born in the Bronx and lived in Queens after graduating college. New York City changed a lot over those years. I want to look at one particular part of New York City to start. When I was a kid, Times Square was not a place to visit. There was crime, drugs, and plenty of surly types in the area. You can see pictures and video here.
I loved living in a city that could have this kind of grit just a few minutes from people living a normal life. When Rudy Giuliani became Mayor, he cleaned up the area and today Times Square is the most touristy part of New York City. There are chain businesses everywhere and everything is gaudy and overpriced. In a different way, this has become the least appealing part of New York City.
I’ve always viewed the Vegas Strip as a similar tourist destination. Thanks to casinos this became a tourist destination that I love. Las Vegas has always been kind of gaudy, everything is overpriced, and chain brands have been taking over independently operated businesses. This isn’t something new. I’ve seen this happening over the years and see it very clearly today following Vegas news closely.
Galaxy Studio Opens In Front Of Caesars Palace
In the May 21 edition of Vegas News we told you that Caesars Entertainment “plans to do something with the seven acres in front of Caesars Palace Las Vegas and up to the Vegas Strip.” Well, Caesars has begun altering the strip frontage at Caesars Palace.
Well, it’s temporary for the time being. This week a Samsung Galaxy Studio opened above space that was once used for fountains. Some would call these fountains iconic. Vital Vegas has a before and after look the area in case you’re having difficulty picturing it.
The new experiential store will be open until the end of January. You can see more about the store here.
Let’s put on a bean counter thinking cap for a moment. This is the perfect area to utilize in front of Caesars Palace. Sure, the fountains are pretty but they cost money to operate and don’t generate revenue. This retail space not only saves money from operating a fountain but it generates revenue. What a great idea!
Let’s take off the bean counter thinking cap. Part of Las Vegas history will eventually be going away. I’m all for change but retail shops (pop-up or otherwise) are lame. It would be nice if Caesars Entertainment could offer something interesting in the space that generates revenue.
The temporary store allows Caesars to test a retail concept in this area. If there’s traffic expect more retail spaces in the future. Like every business in Las Vegas, speak with your dollars if you don’t like how the business operates.
In other Caesars news, they’re almost out of bankruptcy. You can read all about it here.
All Net Arena/Hotel/Supermarket/Etc. Says Construction Could Start In November
The Las Vegas CBS affiliate is reporting that All Net Arena is financed and could start construction in November. This complex would be built on the open land next to SLS Las Vegas. The report says plans for the property have expanded. The new hotel towers are slated to have as many rooms as the property formerly known as Fontainebleau. All Net Arena broke ground in 2014 so file this under “I’ll believe it when I see it.”
You can see the report and read about the project here.
Sharing Las Vegas news is caring. Here’s a bunch of things happening in Las Vegas that you need to know.
- You can enjoy the thrill of throwing axes in downtown Las Vegas. Axehole is now open at Neonopolis. Read more here.
- The Kaaboo music festival in San Diego may expand to Las Vegas. You can read about it here.
- Flippin Good Burgers n Shakes has reopened on East Fremont and it’s all grown up. The new restaurant is now called Flippin’ Good Chicken, Burgers, Beer. Read more here.
- It’s October and time for Halloween fun! Fright Dome at Circus Circus is celebrating its 15th anniversary of being scary. Read more here.
- Herbs & Rye has the best happy hour in Las Vegas. The owners will be opening a full-fledged steakhouse. No word if they will offer half-priced steak for happy hour too. A guy can dream, right? You can read more here.
Casino and Gambling News
- Binion’s has moved poker to the casino floor near the sports book. The room will now be the home for new slot machines and stadium gaming. You can see a quick tour here:
- The Penn and Teller slot machine that debuted last year at the Global Gaming Expo (G2E) has finally made its way to casino floors. Surprise! You’ll find it at the RIO All-Suite Las Vegas Hotel and Casino. You can read more here.
- Gamblit Gaming will debut Pac Man Battle at G2E this week. This won’t be a slot machine but an actual Pac Man game for money. You can read more here. The game won’t be in casinos until next year. I’ll share pictures and video this week from G2E on twitter if you want to see more about this and other games that will be coming to casinos soon.
Pac Man Battle
Vegas Golden Knights News
The NHL season starts soon and the Vegas Golden Knights are getting ready for their first season. Here are a few news bites for the hockey fans.
- The D will host the first Vegas Golden Knights fan fest on October 3rd from 6pm-8pm. This will also be the unveiling of the team’s mascot. Players will be in attendance for the festivities. Read more here.
- You can take a bus to the games if you don’t want to pay for parking at Vegas Golden Knights games. This is also an inexpensive way not to deal with the cluster of all the cars leaving the Vegas Strip at the same time. You’ll find more information here.
The Vegas Golden Knights practice at City National Arena across the street from Red Rock Casino. Entry is free if you’re looking for something to do late in the morning. Practice will typically begin at 10 am when the team is home but coaches could change that at the last minute. Call (702) 998-7466 to confirm practice time before heading to the area.
I haven’t been a hockey fan for years but I went to practice on Monday and had a great time. Tickets for games at T-Mobile Arena are near $100+ on StubHub. This is a way to enjoy some hockey action for free. It’s also a good excuse to visit Red Rock Casino.
Introducing ZorkCast the TravelZork Podcast
ZorkCast is a daily podcast about casinos, luxury travel, Las Vegas, and gambling with a focus on experiences. #PaxEx (Passenger Experience) and #CasinoEx (Casino Experience) are major areas of conversation and exploration. Get your daily dose, that never exceeds 9 minutes. Every day. #ZorkCast powered by TravelZork. ZorkCast is also available on many of your favourite podcast players including: iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play and Overcast.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker?
Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork.
Las Vegas and The Vegas Experience
Wynn Las Vegas – Is There An Echo?
Sake Rok Vegas | The Most Unique Dining Experience on the Vegas Strip
First Look At The Golden Gate Casino Expansion
Consider Airbnb For Your Marijuana Vegas Vacation
eSports in Vegas [2017 Update]
DON’T MISS | Park MGM Renderings Are Here, Say Goodbye To Monte Carlo
My Favorite Las Vegas Sports Books
Giada Vegas | Great Food, Great Views and Great Service at The Cromwell
Off-Strip Dining | 3 Dining Hot Spots Near The Vegas Strip
Casino Gambling and Casino Loyalty
Unintended Consequences | Casino Drink Monitoring
Blackjack and Brews At The Linq Las Vegas
Learning and Loving Pai Gow Poker in Vegas
Where is Phil Ivey? WSOP 2017
Total Rewards and Wyndham Rewards Partner – Plus Matching Status
Being an Informed Gambler
It’s All About The THEO
Trying Out Top Dollar Premium
Atlantic City September 2017 | Here They Come: Fall Festivals, BBQ, Miss America
Suite Escape Hotel Package – Borgata Atlantic City
Jose Garces’ Okatshe at the Tropicana Atlantic City
Mlife at Borgata Sweepstakes
MGM Borgata Mlife Data Points – June 27 Update
Casino Musings | The Strangest Casino In The World… With The Best View!
Angeline Borgata Atlantic City
Will Hard Rock Atlantic City Rock The Boardwalk Back To Life?
Please join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates.
(Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series) All verified subscribers are entered into a MONTHLY contest to win a $50 eGift card.
As long as you remain subscribed, contest is ongoing and you have a chance to win every month.
Book a flight + Wynn Las Vegas or Encore hotel package of two nights or more, and enjoy a complimentary daily breakfast buffet for two. Plus, receive exclusive savings on select room categories.