There’s not much of an introduction this week. While there was lots of little Vegas News, the wasn’t much big news. Also, I’m slightly hungover because of visitors. I had separate lunch and happy hour plans that merged into one big Friday afternoon-evening party. This old man is feeling the pain of a boozy lunch at Pub 365 at Tuscany and Happy Hour at Casbar and Bazaar Meat at Sahara. I shared some pics on twitter if you’d like to see some of the fun.
Heads up if you’re reading this in Las Vegas today. The marathon will cause havoc on the Vegas Strip since it will be closed to vehicles late in the afternoon and early evening. Here’s a list of road closures and alternate directions from the Rock N Roll Marathon.
It seems as though I’ve been on the Strip on marathon day almost every year I’ve lived in Las Vegas. It’s a rad site to see the Strip closed but it’s a pain to get around if you have a car. Speaking of the marathon, there will be a second run beginning in 2021.
Let’s get to the Vegas News!
As Caesars Turns: Merger Approved
On Friday, shareholders of both Eldorado Resorts and Caesars Entertainment both separately approved the merger of the two companies. This isn’t much of a surprise but the deal is now officially approved by the companies.
The deal still isn’t 100% complete. The Federal Trade Commission and state gaming regulators have to approve that New Caesars can operate federally and locally, respectively. If there are more casinos sold by one or both of the companies, there’s a good chance that this was a request from regulators.
During Eldorado Resorts’ most recent earnings call, CEO Tom Reeg said they are still on track to complete the merger by the first half of 2020. He suggested that the deal should be completed by the first quarter.
I don’t expect “As Caesars Turns” will end but we might have to begin a new chapter when the door closes on the current staff. Expect to hear more news about New Caesars next year. Hmmm…Season 2 of “As Caesars Turns” has a good ring.
Semi-related Vegas News: The food court at Caesars Palace Las Vegas is adding a quick-serve BBQ restaurant. Eater also notes that Crepes and More is now selling Pinkbox Doughnuts. If you’re not familiar, these doughnuts are sugary and delicious.
MGM Resorts Adds Volcano Shows At The Mirage
This must be a mistake. MGM Resorts has been cutting back so much over the past few years that it’s almost difficult to imagine they’d add a free show. Well, it appears that’s the case. According to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, The Mirage is adding two volcano shows outside of The Mirage.
The volcano shows at The Mirage will now take place hourly beginning at 6 pm. There will be six shows each night with the last taking place at 11 pm. You can see the schedule here. Video of the show doesn’t do it justice but here’s one if you haven’t seen it in a while.
Sahara Looking For More Sahara
The new Sahara Las Vegas is still under construction but it’s coming along nicely. I had a fun time on Friday and really enjoyed Casbar for the first time. The new owners are looking for donations of old memorabilia to bring back some of that old Sahara vibe.
They’re accepting submissions through tomorrow if you’d like to share something special with the casino. I’d be surprised if they didn’t already spend a few bucks on some vintage Sahara memorabilia. This would be nice if you’d like to help put your touch on re-creating the original Sahara environment. You can read about it here.
Mandalay Bay On The Market
MGM Resorts and MGM Growth Partners are now packaging MGM Grand with Mandalay Bay. According to Bloomberg, they’re looking for a joint venture with another company that would include “at least” these two properties.
During its last earnings call, MGM Resorts said they expect to sell MGM Grand before the end of the year. They’re also considering selling Aria and Vdara next year as part of their new asset-light plan. The deal(s) are expected to be similar to Bellagio where they’d sell the land and lease it back from the new owner. The casino experience should remain the same at each of these properties if they’re sold.
Selling Mandalay Bay could prove to be a big financial deal for MGM Resorts. The land is located near Allegiant Stadium where the Las Vegas Raiders will play its home games. Additionally, UNLV will play home football games and there will be more sports, concerts, and festivals. Owning land in that area could be profitable down the line.
Some Great Credit Cards which are TravelZork Favorites
Learn how to apply!
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
Business Credit Cards
Chase Ink Business Cash
Chase Ink Business Preferred
Business Platinum Card from American Express
Quick Hits – Vegas News
There’s so much more happening in Las Vegas. Read the quick hits of Vegas News as you desire.
- New screens on the canopy at the Fremont Street Experience are operational. The bright screens now work during the day. Read more here.
- The D Las Vegas is getting a new sports book next year. The theater will be renovated for sports fans and bettors. Read more here.
- Big League Weekend is back and bigger than ever. Next year there will be two weekends of Major League Baseball teams playing spring training games in Las Vegas. Read more here.
- Din Tai Fung will open at Aria next year. I’ve never heard about this restaurant but the response has been 100% above average and positive. Read more here.
- The big sign at Treasure Island is turnt up. If you care about signs, read more here.
- The NFL will announce plans for the 2020 draft in Las Vegas on November 26. Read more here.
- Speaking of the NFL, M Resort Spa Casino signed a deal with the Raiders. Read more here.
- The Hard Rock Cafe outside of the casino is being demolished. Read more here.
- Robbie Williams is returning to Wynn Las Vegas next year. Read more here.
- John Fogerty plans to return to Las Vegas next year. Read more here.
- A company says that people in Washington don’t notice when slot machines have a higher hold. I believe this is true for some markets but I’d like to see how at Las Vegas locals casino players respond. I have little doubt people at the Gold Coast or Red Rock would notice. Read more here.
- Major League Rugby will be coming to Las Vegas for two weekends next year. Read more here.
- My dad loved wrestling when I was a kid. I grew out of it but recently jumped back into it with the new AEW league. Their big Double Or Nothing event will return to MGM Grand on Memorial Day weekend next year. Read more here.
- Construction on the Boring tunnel to the Las Vegas Convention Center is underway. Read more here.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker? Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork. Join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates. (Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series)
£ FREE BETS £