Boyd Gaming has been doing great business in Las Vegas over the past couple of years. The locals casinos and downtown casinos have been attracting locals and tourists alike. Their earnings call and report for the second quarter was further proof of that.
There was a rumor that the earnings call would have some bombshell news for Las Vegas. Well, the call was boring and the rumor wasn’t confirmed. Well, it took a couple of months but Eater Vegas has details on the rumor that Boyd will expand the Fremont Hotel and Casino.
Let’s take a look at some specifics of the expansion:
- 320-foot tall hotel tower with 509 rooms at Third Street and Ogden Avenue (close to Pizza Rock).
- The 447 existing rooms will be expanded and renovated. These rooms will become 227 rooms.
- When the hotel expansion and renovation is complete the Fremont Hotel will have 736 rooms.
- The casino floor will expand by 20,700 square feet of new gaming space.
- There will be a 700-square-foot bar and a race and sports book.
- The expansion will take place over 30 months (2.5 years). Completion should be in the middle of 2021.
The biggest surprise is that there are no plans to add any kind of restaurants to the Fremont. Boyd Gaming has been adding new restaurants at their locals properties like Gold Coast, The Orleans, Sam’s Town, and SUNCOAST HOTEL and CASINO. Even the California has updated their restaurant lineup. I expect we’ll hear more about this.
We’ll have a follow up on this as Boyd Gaming reveals more information. It’s exciting to think that by 2021 there will be at least four new sports books in downtown Las Vegas. The D and Golden Gate will have new sports books next year and 18 Fremont will obviously have a new sports book when it opens.
Penn National Gaming About To Explode
Penn National Gaming owns the Tropicana and M Resort in Las Vegas. These are only two casinos in their regional casino and racino operations that reach 14 states. The number of Penn National casinos is about to grow and access for potential visitors to Las Vegas is going to expand as the year comes to an end.
The Federal Trade Commission approved Penn National Gaming’s purchase of Pinnacle Entertainment this week. This will give the casino operator another 16 casinos when the deal officially closes. Most important is that this will give more people access to a players club at home that has links to Las Vegas.
The deal is expected to close sometime in the fourth quarter. It will probably take a few months for the players club and marketing programs to migrate to the new system. This is definitely something to keep an eye on if you live in one of these markets if you’re looking for discounts in Las Vegas.
Park MGM To Have Karaoke
First, we’d like to thank the mainstream media outlets for confirming our Vegas News blurb from September 23 that NoMad will be opening on October 12. Onto the new news.
On The Record, the nightlife venue opening at Park MGM in December will offer karaoke. The press release says that this venue will be a “never-before-seen spin on Las Vegas nightlife.” The modern speakeasy doesn’t seem like something we haven’t seen before but at least it’s not another oontz oontz club. You can read more about the club and karaoke here.
Earn 2X Hyatt Points At MGM Resorts In Las Vegas
You can earn double World of Hyatt points on eligible spend when you stay at any participating MGM Resorts properties in Las Vegas from October 1 to December 29. There don’t seem to be any catches as long as you register by December 29. To earn World of Hyatt Bonus Points you must provide your World of Hyatt membership number and Mlife Rewards membership number at check-in.
If there is something to know about this deal it’s that you can’t get bonus points when booking through a travel website like Expedia. Reservations must be made with MGM Resorts or Hyatt. You can learn more and see the terms and conditions at World Of Hyatt.
Also read: Living the Mlife: World of Hyatt Partnership
Vegas LOL-ing – Jimmy Kimmel’s Comedy Club Opening At The-Linq In 2019
Jimmy Kimmel’s Comedy Club at The Linq will open next year across the “street” from Brooklyn Bowl. The comedy club will be small and seat only 300 people. There isn’t much more information available about the club in the press release.
Meanwhile, the Comedy Cellar at the Rio All-Suite Hotel continues to bring excellent touring comedians to Las Vegas. Todd Barry and Dave Attel are just two of the comedians coming to Las Vegas this month. Comedians that play venues this size would probably skip Las Vegas if Comedy Cellar wasn’t around. Next year there will be two intimate comedy clubs. You can see the full October lineup at Comedy Cellar here.
Hashtag Like A Caesar
Does that dude make you want to be like a Caesar? I found this promo video/commercial while reading through some marketing Caesars did with the Google. You can see how the two companies worked together here.
Here are a few more things happening in Las Vegas that you might want to know.
- Caesars Entertainment is forming an armed security team for each of their Las Vegas resorts. Read more here.
- Bobby Baldwin is leaving MGM Resorts. Read the press release here. Read about his effect on poker at MGM Resorts here.
- William Hill will operate the Stratosphere sports book when it re-opens. That’s part of the news from Golden Entertainment expanding their partnership with the sports book operator. Read more here.
- Resorts World is still on schedule to open in 2020. Read more here.
- Three Las Vegas hotels made it on the 2018 Forbes Travel Guide list of most luxurious hotels in the world. See the list here.
- The new buffet at Treasure Island is open. Read more here.
- Silverton is planning a new casino in Pahrump. Read more here.
- VSIN (Vegas Sports and Information Network) is expanding their broadcasts to Atlantic City. Read more here.
- Another high-end Asian restaurant is opening at the Cosmopolitan. Read more here.
- Johnny Avello leaves Wynn for DraftKings sports book. Read more here.
- Ever wonder how downtown Las Vegas casinos make money? UNLV Gaming put together another neat infographic. You can see them all here.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker? Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork.
Please join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates. (Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series)
Book a flight + Wynn Las Vegas or Encore hotel package of two nights or more, and enjoy a complimentary daily breakfast buffet for two.
Plus, receive exclusive savings on select room categories.