Vegas News April 25, 2021
Vegas Closer To Full Capacity
Every week Las Vegas is closer to being the place so many remember. Last week we saw venues already preparing for big crowds and sold-out events. This week Clark County submitted a plan to increase capacity beginning May 1. Nevada Gaming regulators will allow 80% capacity in casinos beginning Saturday. One step at a time, we notice Vegas closer to full capacity.
When Will Capacity Increase to 100%?
Capacity will increase to 100% when 60% of the local population is vaccinated. According to Clark County on Twitter, 45% are vaccinated. You can read the official document from the Nevada Gaming Control Board here.
Get ready to spend those Usher Bucks (ICYMI). Strip Clubs are coming back! You can read about that here. Speaking of Usher, he added six shows to his residency at Caesars Palace. He now has 14 shows planned for Las Vegas in July and August. YEAH!
We riot if Lil Jon and Ludacris don’t make appearances during his shows.
The Las Vegas experience is different all over town. While “Vegas is back” is the mantra there are different experiences all over town. My recent stay at Cosmopolitan showed me a packed house there but a much less busy scene down the street at The Cromwell.
Stiffs and Georges share some views all around Las Vegas from a friend. Casinos are busy but definitely not sold out. That said, hotel prices are getting back to normal summer rates so you might want to start making plans so you don’t have to pay through the nose for a last-minute room.
Think a little ahead even if you get comp rooms too. Unless you’re a medium to high roller, the comp will be the first rooms to go when the operators realize they can make more money per night just from the room than a low roller gambling budget.
“Vegas is back” – But, Be Patient
Even though “Vegas is back” be patient when you decide to visit. Every business is short-staffed. Everyone working is hustling to try and make your experience great. I don’t think this will end soon so be prepared and be patient.
Vegas Hiring – Uber Still Slow
It seems like casinos are hiring hundreds of employees to replace thousands. That’s a story for another day. My local happy hour bar can’t even get a response to help-wanted posts for every position in the bar and restaurant.
On a related note, Uber is still slow. Only about 50% of requests are being fulfilled according to Fox Las Vegas. Read more here.
Let’s get to the news which will have more on some of these topics.
Las Vegas Quick Hits
Las Vegas Quick Hits
Most of the news in Las Vegas revolves around casinos, restaurants, shows, and bars re-opening. However, the big news this week is from a casino on the Vegas Strip that will be opening for the first time.
- Resorts World Las Vegas announced that it will open on June 24.
- The promo video above featuring Celine, Carrie Underwood, Katy Perry, etc. is a tease for resident performers that will appear in the theater and nightclub. Expect to hear dates in the future. For now, you can read more here.
- One of my frustrations when first visiting Virgin was that the property wasn’t entirely open. Now that we’re approaching May, more venues inside the property are getting closer to opening.
- Elia Beach Club is opening at Virgin on June 10. Read more here.
- Kassi Beach House was supposed to be open by now but the website says it will open in May. Read the press release here.
- The Theater (formerly The Joint) at Virgin will host boxing in May. There should be music and other entertainment announced once the capacity limits are raised. Read more about the fights here.
- While we’re talking about boxing, a card at Mandalay Bay in late May is already sold out. Read more here.
- Cirque du Soleil shows are almost back in Las Vegas. The company confirmed that “O” at Bellagio will return on July 1. “Mystère” will be back at Treasure Island on June 28. Read more here.
We’re excited to announce that Blue Man Group will return to their @Luxorlv #LasVegas stage this June 24, 2021! Book your tickets beginning April 29! For more information go to https://t.co/3QLGDu5OUk #intermissionisover pic.twitter.com/9TTm6RCjRI— Blue Man Group (@bluemangroup) April 21, 2021
- Blue Man Group is affiliated with Cirque and will return to the stage at Luxor on June 24.
- A couple of weeks ago we told you that the plan to hold the Electic Daisy Carnival (EDC) in May wasn’t approved but the planners were going ahead anyway. Well, now they’re not. EDC is now scheduled for October. Read more here.
- You can read about the EDC planning drama here.
- My second favorite bar on the Vegas Strip has caviar tacos and new drinks. Read about the new items at Petrossian inside Bellagio here.
- Wynn has some familiar faces returning to drop some dope beats at its dayclubs and nightclub. The Chainsmokers, David Guetta, and Diplo will be resident DJs at XS and Encore Beach Club. Read more here.
- The rodeo is back in Vegas! Professional Bull Riders (the non-beer PBR) will be at MGM Grand Garden Arena from June 11-13. Read more here.
- The Neon Museum just announced its summer hours. Read more here.
- We’ve been sharing updates about the breweries and beer bars in the Arts District for a couple of years now. One of the PR people in Vegas must have gotten a hold of the TV stations and newspapers because I’ve seen articles about this a few times this week. Read more here. You can read about my first visit to Able Baker in 2019 here.
- The newest Circa Sports location will open in Henderson on April 29. Read more here.
- The Pinball Hall of Fame has reopened on the Vegas Strip. Read more here.
- Phil’s Steakhouse at Treasure Island just reopened. Read more here.
- Karaoke is back at Kamu inside The Palazzo. Read more here.
- The World Series Of Poker is tentatively slated to take place at the Rio once again. Unrelated, it has a new TV home. Read more here.
- It looks like BrewDog will open its first Las Vegas location soon. If memory serves me correctly this will be near the Target on the Vegas Strip across from Aria. Details are sparse but we have a tweet and rendering!
We have just signed the lease on @BrewDog Las Vegas.— James Watt (@BrewDogJames) April 24, 2021
This will be the first ever carbon negative bar in Vegas.
You can expect an amazing roof top urban forest, an onsite brewery, a secret event space, a retro game zone & a special edition of Elvis Juice.
Let’s go Vegas! pic.twitter.com/nBpLhxVdvN