Vegas News July 5, 2020
Vegas Open Now, Closed Tomorrow?
Phase 2 of Nevada’s roadmap to recovery has been extended until the end of July. The State, like much of the country, appears to be going in the wrong direction regarding COVID-19 cases. As a reminder, the Nevada Independent has the raw data if you want to see up to date information. There is also a big question? “Vegas Open Now, Closed Tomorrow?”
COVID-19 cases are spiking and plenty of people have decided to travel in Las Vegas for July 4th. The bad news for those in Las Vegas is that many of the businesses in Nevada don’t seem to be complying with Governor Sisolak’s mandate for everyone to wear a mask. The “good news” is that most casinos appear to be following the mandate despite more than 100 violations.
Overall, there are still plenty of Nevada businesses not requiring customers and employees to wear a mask. It looks like the Governor is going to crack down on those businesses.
COVID Quick Hits:
Here are a few COVID-19 related news items.
- The NHL seems spooked by the spike in COVID-19 cases. It appears as though Las Vegas won’t be a hub for the Stanley Cup playoffs.
- Cirque Du Soliel filed for bankruptcy. Read more here.
- Mandalay Bay, Delano, Luxor, Aria and Waldorf Astoria are all now open.
- Daylight at Mandalay Bay is open. Read more here.
- The Aria poker room and MGM Grand poker room are now open.
- It looks as though Station Casinos will keep Fiesta Henderson closed for the year along. This property joins Fiesta Rancho, Texas Station, and Palms as the remaining closed Station casinos. Read more here.
- Station Casinos is opening the poker rooms at Red Rock, Boulder Station, and Santa Fe Station. Read more here.
Rumor of the week: Las Vegas Casinos Closing Next Week
Half of me thinks it makes sense with the non-compliance throughout the state. The other half of my brain thinks this weekend will be the busiest in a while so cases might start slowing. When a casino social media account takes time to respond to rumors I usually believe the rumor.
Frankly, I’m torn between wanting to visit a casino to gamble again and wanting to close the casinos to help slow the spread of COVID-19. Having said that I’d rather drink more cold brew coffee and deal with reality next week.
While it’s on my mind, the entirety of my brain would rather write about anything else…so let’s do that.
Big Week Ahead For Caesars-Eldorado Merger
Last week we gave you a heads up that the merger between Caesars Entertainment and Eldorado Resorts was nearing completion. This week we have a little more insight into how the companies will move forward.
Eldorado Resorts completed the sale of two properties. This isn’t a surprise as the deal was previously announced. Next week, the Nevada Gaming Control Board and gaming commission will hold a special meeting to discuss the merger on July 8.
The meeting agenda is massive. In addition to discussing the sale, the group will discuss William Hill taking over sportsbook operations at some of the Caesars properties in Las Vegas, Reno, and Laughlin.
You can read a simple overview from the newspaper here. The meeting document has more information if you’re the kind of person who enjoys information.
The other two states that have to approve the deal, Indiana and New Jersey, will meet on July 10 and July 15, respectively.
The New Caesars deal could be complete in less than two weeks. Get pumped!
RIP, Carl Reiner
We’ll always remember you as Lyman Zerga.
Circa Sportsbook Accepting Reservations
By now you’ve seen renderings of the amazing sportsbook being built at Circa Resort & Casino. While there will always be free seats available, there will be a fee for most of the seats on days with football games or special events. Like other sportsbooks that reserve seating the prices are different depending on the day.
Here’s a sample of the fees to reserve seats on Thursday, Nov. 12. I thought this was a good reference since this is shortly after the casino opens. Additionally, The Masters is scheduled to take place during the day and Thursday Night Football at night. Like room rates, expect these prices to change.
Reservations for cabanas and daybeds at the Circa pool deck should be available this week. The pool will be open every day of the year. The poolside experience for the first weekend of March Madness 2021 should be a blast if you’re looking for something new.
You can read the press release about reservations at the Circa sportsbook here.
- Related: Circa room rates are high for New Year’s Eve. Read more here.
- Semi-related: Circa Sports is now operating in Colorado.
“Vegas Open Now, Closed Tomorrow?” edition
Hopefully, you and yours are having a fun and safe holiday weekend. I just made a midday cold brew coffee run and can confirm that Las Vegas is hot. It’s the kind of hot that so many people love and hate. Today, I’m torn. It was nice for the 2-minute drive to get coffee. It was too hot for the drive home. Anyway, here’s some more Vegas News!
- Molson Coors is the official beer (and Hard Seltzer) partner of the Las Vegas Raiders. Read more here.
- Mohegan Gaming has a logo for when it operates the casino at Virgin Las Vegas. Hint, it looks the same as the Mohegan Sun logo. Read more here.
- There might be a big boxing match at Allegiant Stadium in December. Read more here.
- Eureka! (across from El Cortez) has a whiskey club. Read more here.
- There’s a probe about some sports bets that were made after the games started at Bellagio. It’s kind of a big deal if you’re not familiar. Read more here.
- Virgin Nashville opened this week. Read more here and check the website here.
- Eater unearthed a couple of restaurants coming to Virgin Las Vegas. Read more here.
- Dive In movies is returning to the Cosmopolitan. Read more here.
- Buddy V’s is one of the best values at The Venetian. The restaurant is being renovated. Read more here.
- Thinking of moving to Las Vegas? I have an idea for a place to live. Steve Wynn is selling his house in Las Vegas. Read more here.
Also, be sure to join the ZorkCast Group on FaceBook. This is the Facebook group to continue the conversation from the ZorkCast podcast and TravelZork website. Feel free to start a conversation related to anything TravelZork or ZorkCast.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs, and video poker? Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork. Join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates. (Email is sent weekly on Monday and now includes EXCLUSIVE tips and commentary!)