Vegas News March 15, 2020 – CoronaVegas
Coronavirus (Coronavirus Vegas) is now a national emergency. As you’d imagine, the travel and live entertainment industries are getting crushed since people are trying to stay away from each other. Las Vegas is a vacation and entertainment town and there’s a lot happening…and not happening.
I’m totally fine living life in Las Vegas like usual. I don’t mind keeping to myself so this isn’t very different for me. However, there’s so much panic in the streets and it can get to me. I have to socially distance myself from TV and twitter just to keep sane.
I’ve been going out supporting local businesses every day. There are so many people working to try to support everyone’s needs that it seems important to show them a little appreciation. I recommend anyone comfortable going out to do the same. Staying home and using a delivery app for food from a local restaurant will also show some support to the community if you prefer not to be around other people.
Las Vegas, in general, is as strange as always. Some hotels are seeing huge decreases in occupancy. Meanwhile, locals and some of the tourists are combining to make parts of this town the party that it always is. BarCanada opened this weekend and there was a huge crowd on hand to check it out.
Judging from various Instagram videos, downtown Las Vegas was hopping this weekend. It feels as though this is the end of the partying in Las Vegas for a while. Demand for just about everything in Las Vegas is decreasing and venues are closing all over town.
Residencies and Concerts
Residencies and concerts are being postponed. There are no sports and the sportsbooks are pretty quiet sans a few horse racing fans. Monday should be a different – more quiet Las Vegas.
There’s so much to share that I’m just passing on Coronavirus info as it relates to the casinos in one section. I’ll separate the non-virus news for anyone thinking about visiting Las Vegas in the future. For what it’s worth, there should be some great deals on hotels in Las Vegas starting next week.
Nevada Coronavirus News
The Nevada Independent has two live blogs going that are updated with Nevada Coronavirus news. These are both great resources:
Website Resources – Coronavirus Nevada
Coronavirus Vegas Quick Hits
Bear with me if some of these quick hits repeat info from other articles. I’m sure I missed some news but I want to share as much as possible. This was mostly written on Saturday afternoon.
This week someone told me that you can switch the words to “Come On Eileen” to “Covid-19” and I can’t unhear it. I’m passing this onto you in hopes that it will get out of my head.
Onto Coronavirus Vegas Quick Hits:
- MGM Resorts had a Covid-19 case at The Mirage. Read here.
- A Luxor employee tested positive for Covid-19. Read here.
- Actually, multiple MGM employees might have tested positive for Covid-19. Read here.
- Also, MGM Resorts is laying off or furloughing some employees. Read the letter here.
- MGM is closing its buffets. Read here.
- As of Saturday, Aria had incredibly low occupancy rates for the next couple of days. As of the writing of this article, occupancy is 28% on Sunday and 15% on Monday. Source here.
- Occupancy at Wynn Las Vegas will be in the teens over the next couple of weeks. Source here.
- MGM Resorts is closing some casinos around the country but has no plan to close any in Las Vegas. Read here.
- There’s word that there might not be financing for the Caesars merger with Eldorado Resorts because of Coronavirus. The CEO of ERI says the deal will still happen. Read here.
- Penn & Jillette are taking a break. Read here. David Copperfield is also taking a break. Read here.
- Cirque du Soliel shows are suspended. Read here.
- Station Casinos has some new virus policies. Read here.
- Wynn Las Vegas is closing its sports book and poker room today. Read here.
- WSOP is canceling lots of tournaments around the country including Las Vegas. Read here.
- Kelly Clarkson is pushing her residency at PLANET HOLLYWOOD Las Vegas Resort back to July.
- Jonas Brothers canceled their residency at Park MGM. Read here.
- Rod Steward is cutting back on his shows. Read here.
- Here’s a good resource if you’re curious about concerts anywhere in the world.
- NAB is canceled. Read here.
- UFC is fighting in Vegas. Read here.
- Foodie expos are being postponed. Read here.
- Wynn Las Vegas is closing its buffet and dayclubs/nightclubs. Read here.
- MGM Resorts is closing its nightclubs. Read here.
- Wet Republic is temporarily closed. Read here.
- Wynn has some new safety precautions. Read here and here.
- All major sports are suspended or canceled. Sports books are empty, closing, and losing business. Read here.
- EDC is happening…as of now. See the details here.
- A chip cleaning company is doing good business. Read here.
- Downtown Las Vegas Events Center cancels March & April Events. Lots of other venues have done the same. Find a list of canceled events here.
- Big Hoss might be onto something
Non-Coronavirus Vegas News
Believe it or not, there was still some news about Las Vegas that doesn’t include Coronavirus Vegas.
- A slot player hit a $1.3 million jackpot. Read here.
- Sammy Hagar might have a Las Vegas residency with a bunch of other old rock dudes. Read here.
- MGM Resorts college basketball Main Event will be back in November. Read here.
- Eldorado Resorts sold Montbleau in Reno as part of getting the Caesars deal done. Read here.
- JB Smoove is performing at Wynn. Read here. Watch JB Smoove in the very NSFW “Best of Leon” here.
- Tommy Davidson is doing a blast of shows at Jimmy Kimmel’s comedy club at The Linq. Read here.
- The Garth Brooks concert at Allegiant Stadium sold out in 75 minutes. Read here.
- Smith & Wollensky has a steak and whiskey event coming up soon. Read here.
- Planet 13 now has a Mexican restaurant. Read here.
- Terry Bradshaw had a residency at Luxor. Read here. He already canceled. Read here.
- A pizza and daiquiri shop is opening in the old Pinkberry space near Waldorf Astoria. Read here.
Also, be sure to join the ZorkCast Group on FaceBook. This is the Facebook group to continue the conversation from the ZorkCast podcast and TravelZork website. Feel free to start a conversation related to anything TravelZork or ZorkCast.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker? Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork. Join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates. (Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series)
Our Guest For Next Episode:
Scott Roeben of Vital Vegas
Enjoy Prior Episodes on YouTube
Please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel!
Cloth face coverings designed by independent artists,
so your personality won’t disappear behind your mask.
Shop Masks at Redbubble!
20% off sitewide for people with interesting interests. Code INTERESTS
SHOP Casino Designs – Face Coverings/Face Masks