Vegas News May 16, 2021 – Vegas Masks Optional
Covid-Related News Escalated Quickly
Boy, the Covid-related news escalated quickly. This was going to be a shorter Vegas News as I transition to summertime, but the new loosened restrictions must be shared. Last week, a few Las Vegas casinos were approved to increase capacity to 100% and remove plexiglass. Early this week, Caesars, MGM Resorts, and more joined the “100% Club”. That was just the beginning. The next piece of news we never expected this week: Vegas Masks Optional.
Vegas Masks Optional
On Thursday, the CDC updated its mask guidelines. Nevada followed suit allowing businesses to change their policy. Next, Nevada Gaming Control announced that it’s allowing casinos to update their policy. This tweet from Circa is a good explanation of the current covid-less restrictions at most casinos now.
• Due to updates from the CDC, masks are no longer required for fully vaccinated guests/team members on our property. Unvaccinated guests/team members are required to wear a mask.— Circa Las Vegas (@CircaLasVegas) May 15, 2021
• 100% occupancy approved by the Nevada Gaming Control board, no social distancing required. pic.twitter.com/xlCi0ZO8fx
As of the writing of this post (Saturday), the following casino operatorss no longer require masks for fully vaccinated guests:
- Caesars Entertainment
- MGM Resorts
- The Venetian/The Palazzo
- Wynn Las Vegas/Encore
- The Cosmopolitan
- Circa, The D, Golden Gate
- Boyd Gaming
- Station Casinos (maybe)
- The Strat (and PT’s)
- M Resort
Proof Of Vaccination?
The question I’ve been asked the most so far is whether or not guests have to provide proof of vaccination. The answer is no – for now. All businesses appear to be using the honor system. This could change any time. I recommend checking with the casino you’re staying at if you have a visit planned.
People are already appearing on local TV saying that they’re lying about being vaccinated. If you’re concerned about being near unvaccinated people you might want to stay away for a little while to be safe. I’m vaccinated but still prefer strangers to keep their distance.
Marc’s Mask Thoughts
Personally, I’ve always been in the middle of this thing and I’ll remain that way. I do a good job avoiding crowds most of the time and will continue to do so. That said, I’m pretty sure I’ll return to table games at the casinos now that a mask isn’t required. I’ll also be enjoying more time at casino bars. HELLO CHANDY!
I’ve been too lazy to move my mask every time I want to drink. I did that one night at a couple of casino bars and I didn’t enjoy it. I also didn’t want to get any staffers working in trouble by leaving my mask down. I’ve been visiting my local brewpub more often than usual because life is a bit more simple drinking outside of casinos.
Anyway, that’s the scoop for now. You can read/see more here. Whew! On to the rest of the Vegas News.
Las Vegas Quick Hits
There are so many changes happening in Las Vegas. It seems like most of the news is positive. However, I’m going to start with a downer for many. Sorry. I’ll see if I can find something fun to close with.
- Caesars is dumping many of its smaller shows. You can see a list of most of the shows that are closing here.
- This is surprising on the surface but sort of aligns with the overall corporate plans since the Eldorado merger. Consider the show cancellations as part of New Caesars cutting expenses. Don’t be surprised to hear about buffets being closed for good next.
- This could also be Caesars shuffling the deck. It doesn’t seem as though Caesars will operate the casino at Rio beyond the current lease. Popular shows like Chippendales could return to a new property. Shows like Penn & Teller and WSOP could relocate at another date.
- Rumor of the week from Vital Vegas: Caesars Laurel Lounges (formerly Diamond Lounges) are out. I wouldn’t be surprised by this. They’ve been closed for over a year and the penny-pinching casino operator will probably find a different way to reward its best players.
- Resorts World revealed the first dates for Celine Dion, Carrie Underwood, Katy Perry and Luke Bryan. You can find the show dates and ticket info here.
- Concerts at Mandalay Bay Beach are back this summer. Find more information on who and when here.
- The NFL released schedules for all teams this week. You can find the Las Vegas Raiders here.
- MGM Resorts has plans for anyone going to or just watching the games. Read more here.
- Wynn introduced plans for a nightclub vibe in one of the end zones of Allegiant Stadium during Raiders games. Wynn Field Club appears to be something that will be an “Only in Vegas” experience for better or worse. If you don’t like it, there are plenty of other seats. Read more here.
- Southwest is now offering direct flights to and from Hawaii. Read more here. This isn’t a big deal on the surface but it should be noted that Southwest is an M life preferred partner. Regardless, this could be an inexpensive way to extend a Vegas vacation someday for those flying from Europe.
- Mike Epps will be doing some shows at The Venetian. Read more about Doug from The Hangover performing in Las Vegas here.
- “27 – A Musical Adventure” opens at Virgin on May 24 (why not May 27?). Read more here.
- Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art has a new sports exhibit. Read more here.
- Oh yeah, I almost forgot this. Paid parking is coming back to MGM properties. Read more here.
- The monorail will be back later this month. Read more here.
- EDM is coming to downtown Las Vegas. Read more here.
- The Oakland A’s might move to Las Vegas. Read more here.
- Semi-related. Remember this plan for the Henderson Diamondbacks?
- I have nothing especially fun to end with. Enjoy the trailer for Vegas Vacation. This always makes me smile.
Also, be sure to join the ZorkCast Group on FaceBook. This is the Facebook group to continue the conversation from the ZorkCast podcast and TravelZork website. Feel free to start a conversation related to anything TravelZork or ZorkCast.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs, and video poker? Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork. Join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates. (Email is sent weekly on Monday and now includes EXCLUSIVE tips and commentary!)