Vegas News November 22, 2020
Quick Coronavirus Update
It’s been a strange week in Las Vegas. Coronavirus numbers are going the wrong way throughout Nevada. You can see the data here—also, Vegas openings, closings, and lots of news for this week.
Two weeks ago Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak said new mitigation efforts will be announced if the numbers keep getting worse. He hasn’t announced changes yet but the mystery should end soon. He’s expected to make an announcement early in the week.
I’m not going to spend too much time on the topic since it will change shortly. Sisolak hasn’t leaked any information and nobody seems to know what he has in mind.
Vegas — Openings, Closings
I’m not sure what the right solution is but it’s a difficult decision between keeping the economy going and keeping Nevada residents safe. It appears as though restrictions in other nearby states like California will continue to send people to Las Vegas.
Vegas Weekday Closures
This week MGM Resorts announced the hotels at Mandalay Bay and The Mirage would close during the weekdays. TravelZork readers expected Mandalay Bay would reduce capacity and amenities a couple of weeks ago.
Delano and Four Seasons hotels will remain open at Mandalay Bay. The casinos and some of the restaurants at both properties will also stay open seven days a week.
Speaking of closures, the roller coaster at New York-New York will be closing for a couple of weeks in December. This news reminds me that almost everything in Atlantic City goes dark in later November and early December.
New Corona Plans
Governor Sisolak should reveal new coronavirus plans during the week. Keep an eye on Twitter for news. The next Vegas News column will surely have an update.
There is the news, and then there is NEWS. This week in Las Vegas is chock full of news. There’s a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Maybe we’ll get some ALL CAPS NEWS soon. Plus, lots of Vegas openings and closings.
- Earlier this year, SAHARA Las Vegas announced plans to build a restaurant row on the Vegas Strip. Construction is finally underway and should be finished in the summer of 2021. It’s probably not a coincidence that Resorts World Las Vegas – the casino being built across and down the street – will also open next summer.
- You already know that Caesars the Bally’s brand but still owns the Las Vegas casino. The deal closed this week. Bally’s spent no time announcing it was buying a sports betting tech company and a slew of regional sports networks. You can read about that here.
- Semi-related – MGM Grand (now Bally’s) caught fire 40 years ago yesterday. Read and watch more here.
- Rumors are already swirling that New Bally’s could buy…Bally’s Las Vegas from Caesars. Don’t forget Hard Rock is also looking to return the brand to Las Vegas. Hard Rock has been rumored to be interested in Bally’s or PLANET HOLLYWOOD Las Vegas Resort. Look for news about one or both of these properties.
- Lyft Robotaxis are in Vegas! Read more here if you’re down to take a car without a driver. These were previously tested with humans behind the wheel. If there’s a problem with the car driving itself while you’re a passenger, you’ll be up a creek. That said, this is a way to get around without sitting in a car with a stranger.
- Aria will have three $10,000 poker tournaments in early December. Read more here. Also, Aria has some new Christmas decorations. Check it out.
- A lawsuit against Steve Wynn has been dismissed. Read more here.
- This is unrelated but the timing is interesting. Elaine Wynn is no longer with Wynn Resorts. Read more here.
- It looks like Station Casinos may build a new casino even though it still has four closed. Read more here. You can read about the original plans for Durango Station here.
- All Elite Wrestling was in Las Vegas last week. Everything was recorded at a Caesars property. The “rasslin” company made its debut at MGM Grand two years ago. The change from an MGM location to Caesars locations might be interesting to those into this kind of thing.
- Brioche by Guy Savoy is now open inside Paris Las Vegas. The Caesars Palace Las Vegas location probably has the best coffee in the casino. On a related note, Mon Ami Gabi at Paris serves Intelligentsia Coffee which is my favorite on the Vegas Strip.
Holy hell, Marc! If I lived in Vegas, I would RUN (which I don't do), not walk, to get be first in line for this experience! ❤️❤️❤️— Tony (@360VegasTony) November 20, 2020
- The Underground at Mob Museum now has a “Whiskey Club.” This sounds great to me and booze connoisseur, Tony from the 360 Vegas podcast, emphatically agrees. Take his word, not mine. (Side note: be sure to subscribe to 360 Vegas, it’s an awesome Vegas podcast!)
- The Plaza has some new security tech. You can read about it here.
- Donny Osmond will return to Vegas next year without Marie. Read the press release here.
- Zumanity is done at New York-New York. Terry Fator will do some shows at that theater before the year is over. Read about 30 words about it here.
- The Mat Franco show is returning to The Linq in December. Read more here.
- Mr. Olympia won’t take place in Las Vegas this year. Read more here.
- Dig this. Las Vegas was busy installing a sign to let you know you’re entering the hood. At the same time, Las Vegas was also laying the groundwork to make Las Vegas a Smart City. Read more here.
- Did you know that TravelZork can book you at some of the BEST VEGAS RESORTS with extra perks and benefits? Well, now, you KNOW!
Also, be sure to join the ZorkCast Group on FaceBook. This is the Facebook group to continue the conversation from the ZorkCast podcast and TravelZork website. Feel free to start a conversation related to anything TravelZork or ZorkCast.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs, and video poker? Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork. Join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates. (Email is sent weekly on Monday and now includes EXCLUSIVE tips and commentary!)