Vegas News September 27, 2020
No big intro this week. Instead, I’ll lead with a quick Vegas Reopening note., which includes confirmation of Planet Hollywood Opening. Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak will discuss possible capacity limit increases next week. The current limit for gatherings is 50 people. Rumor is that this could increase to 250 person gatherings. This could be a step forward for many businesses from casinos to churches. Expect to hear more when there’s an official change.
Planet Hollywood Reopening October 8
This week, Caesars announced that PLANET HOLLYWOOD Las Vegas Resort would reopen on October 8 at 10 a.m. This won’t be a complete reopening of the property, but it’s a step forward. Check the press release for specific venues and amenities that will be opening.
Planet Hollywood Opening
The casino at Planet Hollywood will be open 24/7 every day. Similar to The Linq, the hotel will only be open for weekend stays – Thursday through Sunday.
Weekend hotel rooms are important for Caesars as a regional visitation doesn’t seem to be slowing down. Last week we mentioned that Caesars properties were at 95% capacity for Labor Day weekend.
Food and Beverage – Planet Hollywood Opening
Planet Hollywood Opening will feature the reopening of a number of venues. The following food and beverage amenities will open at PLANET HOLLYWOOD Las Vegas Resort:
- Gordon Ramsay Burger
- Starbucks (located in the lobby)
- Heart Bar
- Extra Lounge
- Café Hollywood
- Earl of Sandwich
- Strip House
Caesars and MGM both said they would reopen properties as demand warrants. It appears as though the weekend crowds aren’t slowing down, which aligns with the Planet Hollywood opening. On a related note, Park MGM will reopen this week on September 30.
Caesars related: Bally’s poker room is open on weekends.
Caesars Might Buy William Hill
This isn’t all that big of a deal for Caesars in Las Vegas but I thought I’d share it while discussing the company. Caesars currently owns 20% of sportsbook operator William Hill from a deal made with Eldorado Resorts.
William Hill Currently Operating Sportsbooks At Caesars
In turn, William Hill is currently operating the sportsbooks at Caesars properties in Las Vegas. This purchase wouldn’t be much of a surprise as Eldorado has been discussing a to find ways to monetize Caesars’ online gaming and sports betting since the deal was announced last year.
This deal would probably mean that Caesars spins off this business and creates a new online gaming and sports betting business. This would be a case of spending money to make money. Another company, Apollo Management, currently have bids for William Hill.
Legal Sports Report has a good synopsis if you’d like to learn more.
The Killers Did Not Implode Caesars Palace
Monday Night Football aired a pre-recorded taping of The Killers performing on a rooftop deck at Caesars Palace Las Vegas. Enjoy.
This was part of a larger recording that you can probably find on YouTube.
On a related note, The Killers are already working on a follow up to “Implode The Mirage.” No details which casino they’re going to discuss imploding. Check twitter for rumors.
Circa Opens in a Month
Circa received its gaming license from the Nevada Gaming Commission (NGC) this week. The casino will open in one month as recently announced. Circa also announced that 8 East will open with the other restaurants on Oct. 28 instead of the originally scheduled December opening.
One interesting note from Derek Stevens about the property. The hotel will not be completed when it opens. The original plan was for Circa to have 777 hotel rooms. Apparently, only the first seven floors will be complete by December 28. Stevens says The other floors of the hotel “would be held back for at least a year.”
This makes sense with the current economy and lack of fly-in travel and lack of entertainment and conferences to fill rooms. Having said that, I’ll be surprised if Circa doesn’t have at least some of the larger suites available on a higher floor for big spenders. You can read more about the NGC meeting here.
I’m not much a fan of big parties but I received this sweet invite to the Grand Opening of Circa and can’t pass it up. The invite looks like a yearbook dedicated to everyone that helped get Circa to the opening date. There are also some unique images like blueprints and other concepts.
While I’d rather mill around wearing shorts and taking pictures I’ll be wearing a fancy suit and pants. I’m looking forward to the night! I’m clumsy enough trying to have a conversation at a party while snacking and drinking. Fingers are crossed I’m allowed into the casino to take pics before I have to suit up.
More Resorts World Rooms
The new luxury rooms and lobby area at Crockfords Las Vegas look great. You can read the press release for more information. I planned on this being a quick hit but wanted to share one of the renderings and this gives a little more room.
I’ve seen so many old pictures from the Global Gaming Expo (G2E) this week while checking the various social medias. The gaming conference will be mostly virtual this year. It’s not going to be the same but at least I won’t have to wear pants for the panels.
This week IGT released a showcase video on youtube if you’re looking for some new gaming information. One note, there are no new branded slot machines on this. Expect to see those announced when the actual conference takes place online in a few weeks.
- Let’s just get to the quick hits this week, since there is a lot more news than just Planet Hollywood opening. The Autumn display at the Bellagio Conservatory is my least favorite every year. That damn tree with the eyes creeps me out. It’s still nice but that tress…bleh. Read more here.
- As expected, Virgin moved its opening date back to 2021. Read more here.
- Virgin is renaming The Joint. Expect an announcement with a new name next month as they try to keep building buzz heading into next year.
- SAHARA Las Vegas has a new players club called Infinity Rewards. It was only a matter of time before the owner connected his Grand Sierra Resort in Reno with his Vegas property. Find more info here.
- Shaquille O’Neal purchased a house in Las Vegas. Read about Shaq’s little 5,000 square foot Shack here.
- The Fremont was fined $300,000 by Nevada gaming. Read more here.
- PBR is following NFR and moving to Texas this year. Later cowboys and cowgirls. Read more here.
- SAHARA Las Vegas was fined for COVID-19 violations. Read more here.
- Life is Beautiful announced dates for 2021 for some reason. We don’t even know when more than 50 people can gather in one place but we have dates for a 20,000 person festival. Read more here.
- As mentioned last week, the Cosmopolitan has banned smoking in parts of the casino. Read more here.
- Circa will operate a new sportsbook at Tuscany next year. Read more here.
- New casino poker room update: I was working on an article that will publish next week but wanted to share some poker room news. You probably already know some of this. Circa and Virgin will open without a poker room. Resorts World still plans to open with a poker room.
Also, be sure to join the ZorkCast Group on FaceBook. This is the Facebook group to continue the conversation from the ZorkCast podcast and TravelZork website. Feel free to start a conversation related to anything TravelZork or ZorkCast.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker? Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork. Join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates. (Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series)
FAQ – Quick Scoop for Vegas News
Planet Hollywood is opening on October 8, 2020.
Park MGM is opening on September 30, 2020.
Life is Beautiful is September 17-19, 2021 in Downtown Las Vegas.