Cynics, myself included, will often mock the overuse of buzzwords and marketing terms in Las Vegas. However, there has been one legitimate game changer in Las Vegas over the past year. Yes, the game of getting around Las Vegas as changed. Ridesharing companies, Uber and Lyft, returned to Las Vegas in late 2015 and the services have become more valuable every day.
Ridesharing Game Changer in Vegas
Ridesharing in Las Vegas has become popular for two reasons – price and convenience. Unless there’s a shortage of cars, the prices of an Uber or Lyft ride can be almost half of a taxi fare. You no longer have to stand in a long taxi line waiting to get around. Just order a ride and they’ll pick you up in a few minutes (listed in the app) in a designated ridesharing pickup area.
The wait for Uber or Lyft on the Vegas Strip is usually only a few minutes if there’s even a wait. The convenience of using a Uber or Lyft instead of a taxi can be even better at McCarran Airport (LAS). Ridesharing is still only a small part of the ground transportation and this is a huge benefit when you arrive in Las Vegas. You’ll never have to stand in the long taxi line waiting in 100-degree temperatures again.
Uber – Lyft – LAS | Finding Uber and Lyft (Pick-up at LAS)
Not only is the Uber and Lyft pickup area in the shade but there’s rarely a wait to get a ride at LAS. Even though it’s convenient, finding the ridesharing area at McCarran Airport can be tricky if you’ve never been there before.
The rideshare companies recommend that you don’t order a car until you’ve picked up your luggage from baggage claim. Once you have your luggage just open the Uber app or Lyft app and select your terminal for pickup. The pickup area is different depending which terminal you land.
- Terminal 1 pickup is at Level 2M of the public parking garage.
- Terminal 3 pickup is at the Valet Level of the public parking garage.
These locations are important because they’re the only places at McCarran Airport where an Uber or Lyft driver will pick you up. There are the signs that indicate rideshare throughout the airport to help you easily find the pickup location. The driver will be waiting in the designated rideshare pick-up zone at each respective terminal. Even if there is a short wait for the car it will take a few minutes to walk from baggage claim.
The Process Explained | Ridesharing
The process of getting a rideshare is relatively simple but different if you’ve been visiting Las Vegas for many years. Here are some basics on ridesharing if you’ve never used the services :
- The act of ridesharing is technically an arrangement where you (passenger) travels in a private vehicle driven by its owner (rideshare driver).
- In Las Vegas, the rideshare is set up via the Uber app or Lyft app. Once you download either app you’ll enter your payment information (credit card, debit card, PayPal) and then you can begin using. No cash is exchanged unless you choose to tip with cash.
- To get a ride you enter a pickup location in the app and a driver will pick you up. Even though it’s preferred, you don’t have to enter a destination until you’re been picked up.
- In order to get a price estimate for the ride, you’ll have to enter a destination in the app. Remember, prices for a rideshare can be half of what you would pay for the same taxi ride.
- At the end of the ride, you won’t be expected or asked to tip. This is optional with both Uber and Lyft drivers. If you’d like to tip for good service, you can use cash or with Lyft use your app.
If you’ve never used Uber before the fine folks at TravelZork have a discount code to get you started. Enjoy your free airport transfer!
Book a flight + Wynn Las Vegas or Encore hotel package of two nights or more, and enjoy a complimentary daily breakfast buffet for two. Plus, receive exclusive savings on select room categories.