Vegas News June 13, 2022
No introduction this week. Let’s get some mainstream travel news out of the way to start before we get to the Vegas News of the week.
Las Vegas Quick Hits
- International air travelers to the US no longer have to take a COVID-19 test the day before flying. The Las Vegas casinos that depend on these tourists are beyond stoked.
- To me, the return of more international travelers means one thing. There will be more slow walkers in the way. These are the worst slow walkers since they never stay to the right so I can pass on the left will be. Anyway, read more here.
- Meanwhile, health officials are recommending people wear a mask when indoors again when visiting southern Nevada (Las Vegas) due to high Covid transmission rates. Read more here.
- New inflation data was released this week and it lines up with a conversation I was having with someone booking an airplane ticket to Las Vegas. The cost to fly from the east coast to Las Vegas is much higher than recent past. Now we have data to support what our eyes have seen for a while.
- Yahoo shares specifics saying that “Airline fares kept rising in May, up 12.6% after jumping 18.6% the prior month thanks to the soaring cost of jet fuel.” Read more here.
- I’ve been hearing for months that Burger Brasserie at Paris Las Vegas, just outside of Bally’s would be closing. Vital Vegas is rumoring that another Guy Fieri restaurant will take its place. This makes sense, Caesars customers seem to love him. His restaurant at The Linq is always packed. Read more here.
- Speaking of Bally’s, Jack Binion Steak is now open at the soon-to-be Horseshoe Casino. Read more here.
Venetian Gets A New CEO
- Patrick Nichols will become CEO of Venetian. He was most recently GM of The Cosmopolitan. Don’t expect better gambling conditions since both have similar limits and rules. Perhaps Nichols will make some changes to Grazie Rewards based on Identity Rewards at The Cosmopolitan. Read more here.
- Speaking of The Venetian, Majordomo and Moon Palace closed this week. Both were delicious, overpriced, and in a horrible location. Read more here.
- Katy Perry got a key to the Vegas Strip last week.
It was the 🟡HIGHLIGHT🟡 of my day yesterday receiving the 🗝 to the strip 💛 it’s been so fun getting to PLAY in Vegas and I’ve felt so welcomed by the community 🤗 idk what doors this opens but i might try to crash some hotel rooms now 😈 pic.twitter.com/Jjq68IWACI— KATY PERRY (@katyperry) June 9, 2022
More Quick Hits And Barry Manilow Got A Key
- Barry Manilow got a key to Las Vegas. That’s not a key to the Vegas Strip so no embedded tweet of him and the mayor. Enjoy here.
- In October 2021 Dream Hotel received approval from Clark County. This week we have a visual that construction on the hotel across from Mandalay Bay is underway.
- The rumor about El Clasico coming to Las Vegas has been confirmed. Real Madrid and Barcelona will play at Allegiant Stadium on July 23. Read more here.
- I shared an article about travel NFTs a few weeks ago. Resorts World Las Vegas is the first to drop them in Las Vegas. If you understand any of this, you can find the offerings here.
The Plaza Is Listening
- It’s always refreshing to hear when casino operators listen to complaints from their customers. Plaza did just that and might have some of the best bartop video poker games in Las Vegas. Check out the tweet here.
- There’s a huge WPT event with a $15 million guaranteed prize pool happening at Wynn in December. Read more here.
- The Whitney Houston hologram show at Harrah’s is closing this week. Read more here.
- Do you know who paid nearly $13 million for two acres of land on Las Vegas Boulevard? Nobody does! Read more here.
- Nellies Southern Kitchen (Jonas Brothers family) is now open at MGM Grand. Read more here.
- Steak N Shake at Oyo is open again. Read more here.
- UNLV football tickets are now available. The team might not be good but this is probably the cheapest way to get into Allegiant Stadium. Prices start at $24 per ticket. A tour costs more than twice a ticket to see the Rebels play. You can find tickets here.
- Circa hired a couple of well-respected sports betting veterans. I met Richie B years ago when I was first learning about sports betting apps. The New Yorker reminded me of home and shared so much knowledge on the space. I hope he can facilitate a better Circa Sports app for Nevada. Read more here.
- Las Vegas Advisor answers a lot of dumb questions from their readers. Bless their souls. Last week they took me down memory lane, answering a question about the Villa De Flores Apartments. It’s fascinating, and I’m pretty sure not many people remember this. Read about it here.
Quick Hits – Las Vegas NBA Franchise
- Lebron James confirmed the rumor that he’d like to own a Las Vegas NBA franchise.
Quick Hits – Outside Of Las Vegas
We’re going to wrap things up with a couple of related news bites from outside of Las Vegas.
- Legends Bay Casino in Sparks received initial approval to open. This will be home to the first Circa Sports location outside of Las Vegas. Read more here.
- MGM Resorts sold operations of Gold Strike in Tunica, MS. When the deal closes, it will no longer be a casino that offers MGM Rewards points and comps. Yes, I’m sharing this news just so I can pass on this scene from Ocean’s 13.