Vegas News August 24, 2022
MGM Taking Small Steps At Cosmopolitan
It is very real that we are seeing MGM taking small steps at Cosmopolitan. Last week we mentioned Silk Sonic performing at the Barbershop inside the Cosmopolitan as the first marker that MGM Resorts is taking over operations at the property. Typically performers at Park MGM make aftershow appearances at the same property. This was a change of pace to have an aftershow at a different MGM Resorts property.
Skip to the end to watch the eight-minute set from Silk Sonic.
Cosmopolitan and BetMGM
This week MGM is taking another small step towards taking over Cosmopolitan. BetMGM is now operating the sportsbook at Cosmopolitan. Until this weekend, the sportsbook was run by William Hill.
The sportsbook changes were underway the day the deal for MGM Resorts was approved. The company expected it would take three months for the sportsbook changeover to take place. Well, this change is pretty much on schedule.
Loyalty At Cosmo Is Still Identity Rewards
Identity Rewards is still intact at Cosmopolitan. The integration of MGM Rewards at the Cosmopolitan should be one of the last changes. I expect the Cosmopolitan won’t entirely become an MGM Rewards property until sometime next summer.
I visited Cosmopolitan over the weekend and am happy to report that my weekly offers are still intact. I actually won a few bucks using my weekly free play on my favorite slot machine. I used the food credit on way too much Hattie B’s.
Stay tuned as MGM will be rolling out different changes to Cosmopolitan for the next year or so.
MGM Resorts – Room Renovations At New York-New York
While we’re speaking about MGM Resorts, the company is beginning the room renovations at New York-New York. Some new rooms will be available later this year and the project will be completed by next year. Read more here.
After New York-New York Look For MGM Grand Room Renovations
The New York-New York website has virtual tours of the new rooms. You can see them here.
Look for news about MGM Grand room renovations soon. MGM Resorts mentioned this during its last earnings call.
Last but not least, it looks like mainstream media read Vegas News from a few weeks ago. Multiple outlets are now sharing the Las Vegas Grand Prix information we passed on after MGM Resorts’ last earnings call.
Now for the rest of the news in and around Las Vegas.
Las Vegas Quick Hits
- Last week Caesars Palace Las Vegas revealed the renovations to the original casino. The property should be entirely done with renovations, including the new lobby bar, in the next couple of weeks.
- Fontainebleau dropped a press release for its retail space with a reminder that the property is supposed to open in Winter 2023. The renderings of the hallways are unspectacular. Read more here.
- If you’re curious about the opening timeframe, it looks like Fontainebleau might still be on track. In Nov. 2021, Fontainebleau said the plan was for construction to be completed by late 2023 but no later than the Super Bowl in 2024.
- Here’s another Boring update. This one is around possible stations being built for Allegiant Stadium. The rumored completion date for the project is 2053. Read more here.
- The Jonas Brothers are returning to Park MGM in November for a few shows. Read more here.
- A slew of Life Is Beautiful performers will have side gigs around Las Vegas from Sept. 14-18. Read more here.
- The shopping plaza across from Cosmopolitan and Harmon Corner will have a fancy steakhouse called Ocean Prime. Read more here.
- Las Vegas will host the 2023 NIT (college basketball) semifinals and championship in March 2023. Read more here.
- This hasn’t been mentioned much but Las Vegas is no longer hosting the College Football Playoff championship game in 2025 due to a “scheduling conflict.” Read more here.
- I feel like Lyft has launched robotaxis in Las Vegas since before the Covid-19 pandemic. Evidently, they’re being launched again. Read more here.
- It looks like there’s another strange art thing in Las Vegas. Read more here.
- MSG could spin off into different companies. As it relates to Las Vegas, the MSG Sphere would no longer be part of the same company as the NY Knicks. The idea of MSG spinning off assets has been around for years. Read more here.
- For some reason, Clark County is still contemplating marijuana lounges. Read more here.
- The setup for Monday Night Football at Illuminarium looks rad if you don’t mind spending $20 to watch the game. Read and see more here.
- Vital Vegas recorded most if not all of the Silk Sonic set at the Barbershop inside Cosmopolitan last week. This is an 8-minute medley of various songs. Bruno Mars’ rendition of “Roxanne” is the highlight for me. Enjoy.
Silk Sonic Set
Also, be sure to join the ZorkCast Group on FaceBook.
This is the Facebook group to continue the conversation from the ZorkCast podcast and TravelZork website. Feel free to start a conversation related to anything TravelZork or ZorkCast.