What’s Up With Wynn Part II
We’re still following news about Wynn Resorts, or some of the properties, being sold. We still don’t know what’s happening but have a better idea than last week. First news started flying about MGM Resorts buying Wynn Resorts. Then there was news that Wynn Boston Harbor (I referred to the property last week by the original working name – Wynn Everett) might be the only asset sold.
This week there are multiple reports that MGM Resorts is in talks with Wynn Resorts about only buying the Massachusetts casino – not the entire company. This won’t be an easy deal since as of now, a casino operator can’t own multiple casinos in Massachusetts. I started to dive into all the issues with MGM Resorts buying Wynn Boston Harbor but PlayMA.com saved me from writing everything down. It’s a good and easy read if you’re curious.
These are just talks and a deal is far from done. There’s nothing close to happening yet. It was just over a year ago when MGM was in talks with Las Vegas Sands about buying Sands Bethlehem. Remember when “Sands Bethlehem reportedly sold for $1.3b to MGM Resorts.” That deal was close but never happened. The casino in Pennsylvania was eventually sold to another company for the same price. You can read the press release here.
Something will happen with Wynn but we still have no idea of what that is. There’s a lot happening with the company so expect to hear more rumors. Be patient.
Harrah’s Northern California (Sacramento) Casino Coming In 2019
Back in July 2017, we told you that Caesars Entertainment will start licensing their brands to other companies. Well, the first major licensing deal has been announced. Caesars has signed an agreement with the Buena Vista Gaming Authority to bring a new 71,000 square-foot Harrah’s-branded casino to Northern California.
Caesars will provide brand licensing and consulting services for the casino that will be developed, owned, and operated by the Buena Vista Gaming Authority. The 71,000 square-foot property is expected to open in 2019 and will include 950 slot machines, 20 table games, one full-service restaurant and three fast-casual dining concepts.
This casino will be a part of the Total Rewards network. You can read more about the deal to bring a casino to northern California here. Expect to see and hear about more deals like this in the future.
Caesars Influencing Showers At Hotels All Over The Country
This bit of news is loosely related to Caesars Entertainment (as I see it). When I first stayed at The Linq in 2015, I didn’t mind the dispensers in the shower for shampoo, soap, and conditioner. I’m the exception, not the rule. Most people hate the dispensers. They must be good for business because Caesars has been installing similar dispensers in their newly renovated hotel rooms at the Flamingo and Harrah’s. Maybe they started a nationwide trend with these dispensers in showers.
This week Marriott International announced they would use shower dispensers in their Courtyard, Fairfield, Residence Inn, Springhill Suites and TownePlace Suites. These hotel brands make up the bulk of their properties. Don’t expect to see this at The Drew or any cost-cutting amenities when it opens. The property will include EDITION and J.W. Marriott brands. You can read more about the shower plans for Marriott here.
*This was written with some sarcasm.
Silverton Village Breaks Ground
The Silverton is a forgotten or unknown gem of a casino for many visitors to Las Vegas. It’s a few miles south of Mandalay Bay just off I-15. The unique casino sits on a huge plot of land most of which hasn’t been used. That changed when Cracker Barrel opened its first Las Vegas location in 2016.
Silverton Village broke ground this week and will occupy nine of those undeveloped acres of land on the property. This will essentially be a hotel and shopping plaza that has a 150 room-Hyatt Place Hotel, a Starbucks location with a drive-thru, Blaze Pizza, Firehouse Subs and Panera Bread. More tenants for the mall will be announced.
There’s no completion date for Silverton Village but I suspect the hotel will be ready in time for the Las Vegas Raiders inaugural season in 2020. This expansion on the land at the Silverton is in addition to its partnership with The Berkley, a 400 room-all suite timeshare resort. You can see more information on The Berkley here. You can see more information on Silverton Village here.
I played a different version of the Quick Hits slot machine than I normally see on a recent visit to Planet Hollywood. This isn’t a new version of the game but it’s one I haven’t seen much around town. This game has a few multipliers in addition to slot symbols. It’s located near the restroom as you walk towards the Zappos Theater if you’re looking for a different version of Quick Hits.
The following news bites are here to keep you updated on what’s happening all around Las Vegas.
- Heads up chip collectors
- The NHL Awards will stay in Las Vegas for another three years. The show will take place at the Hard Rock this year. Read more here.
- Speaking of hockey, the Vegas Golden Knights are winning. Read more here.
- When the Pearl Theater opened at the Palms Casino Resort it was lauded for having great sound. Station Casinos wants you to know they’ve painted it. Read and see more here.
- Tickets for Star Wars: Secrets Of The Empire Virtual Reality experience at The Venetian are on sale. Read more here.
- You can reserve a cabana at any MGM Resorts property online. Check it out here.
- I feel like the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority usually releases their visitor profile by now. It’s not available yet but they’ve dribbled out some more news. Tourists spend money in Las Vegas and people visited for conventions. Read more here.
- There are more Chick Fil A restaurants coming to Las Vegas. These locations are off the Vegas Strip and unrelated to the rumor of the week about Chick Fil A opening on the Vegas Strip last week. Read more here.
- The rumors about the Gwen Stefani residency at Planet Hollywood are true. Tickets are on sale now. Read more here.
- Last but not least…a tweet from the Las Vegas Lights soccer team. “We were going to wait till 4:20 pm, but we were just too excited.”
ZorkFest – Memorial Day Weekend
Featuring Anthony Curtis of Las Vegas Advisor talking about “The LVA Way.” Also, Gilbert Ott of God Save the Points, Richard Kerr of Award Travel 101 and much much more. You do not want to miss this! Be sure to check out the BIOs of all the great ZorkFest speakers and our detailed schedule page. Travel Smarter!
[Great Opportunity] May 27th – Award Travel 101 Bootcamp
Sunday, May 27th – 10am
Award Travel 101 Bootcamp — 3 hour intensive boot camp taught by Richard Kerr and Howie for anyone who wants to learn the basics of award travel and set themselves up for their first award trip. Our teaching will start with all attendees selecting a travel goal to attain with points and miles and working them from the ground up to achieve that goal. Throughout the course we give practical examples/applications of the methods using attendees goals.
• The FICO score and the right ways to obtain/utilize credit cards while protecting credit score
• Transferable versus fixed redemption currencies and how to use them
• Hotel and Airline Loyalty Program basics
$99 per attendee. Each attendee gets 1 year of AwardWallet Plus ($30 value).
Need a Room? Memorial Day Weekend
May 24th to May 28th 2018
The special TravelZork ZorkFest Treasure Island booking link is open to ALL TravelZork readers.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker?
Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork.
Please join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates.
(Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series) All verified subscribers are entered into a MONTHLY contest to win a $50 eGift card.
As long as you remain subscribed, contest is ongoing and you have a chance to win every month.
TRAVEL DEALS – CRUISES
- 4 Night Bahamas Cruises from $204 on Carnival, only on Cruisedirect.com. $49 Deposits, Plus Up to $500 to Spend On Board!
- 7 Night Caribbean Cruises from $509 on Holland America, only Cruisedirect.com.Up to $1,300 to Spend On Board, Plus SUITES: FREE Drinks & Specialty Dining!
- 7 Night Caribbean Cruises from $1274 on Disney Cruise Line, only on Cruisedirect.com. CruiseDirect Exclusive: Disney Autograph Book, Plus Up to $1,000 to Spend On Board!