Sometimes corporate drama can be fun. Then there are times when there’s so much casino drama that it overshadows what’s actually happening on the ground. With that in mind, I’m going to start with some corporate drama because it’s interesting and move on to things that might actually impact how you spend time in Las Vegas.
Vegas Casino Drama
Wynn Resorts: Wynn Resorts was fined a record-breaking $20 million for not addressing Steve Wynn’s sexual misconduct allegations. You can read about it here. While I was working on an article about this earlier in the week I noticed that this hasn’t affected the bottom line at Wynn Las Vegas. Their 2018 earnings were a bit higher than in 2017. We can talk Wynn again when they dish details on the new restaurants.
MGM Resorts: A couple of weeks ago we had details from MGM Resorts’ earnings about MGM 2020. The first phase is underway and a bunch of executives in Las Vegas are being let go or accepting settlements to leave before their contracts end. Once this is complete maybe we’ll hear some news about how they’ll make your next visit to Las Vegas better. The next phase will be about adding new technology to reduce expenses.
Caesars Entertainment: SO MUCH DRAMA! Carl Icahn has been in Vegas News more than any other person. This week, Caesars and Icahn agreed to a deal to add new board members. This seems as if it could be leading to a sale. Seeking Alpha and Motley Fool have some thoughts if that’s a good thing.
Quick Hits AKA Drama Free Vegas!
Not all the news in Las Vegas was about corporate casino drama. In fact, a couple of the corporations above had some fun news this week. We’ll touch on everything with extended quick hits!
- Paris Las Vegas celebrated its 20th anniversary with the debut of a new light show at the Eiffel Tower. The new show will run at the top and bottom of the hour every evening from sunset to midnight. Caesars also announced they will renovate another 1,600 rooms at the hotel.
- Caesars is actually offering something new and unique. The casino operator has been testing mobile technology for ordering food at The Linq and other casinos around the country. You can order food delivered to public areas, like lobbies and poolside decks. Head over to El Cortez if you’d like food delivered to your gaming table or machine. Skift has much more information here.
- If you’re in Las Vegas this week, you can get tickets to see Penn & Teller “Fool Us,” “American Ninja Warrior,” and “America’s Got Talent.”
- You already know that casinos have eyes on you at all times on the casino floor. Well, Las Vegas now has eyes and ears on you when you’re out and about in downtown Las Vegas. Read more here.
- The Atomic Saloon Show is opening at the mall at The Venetian. Read more here.
- Canter’s Deli at The Linq is gone already. Maxies Diner will take its place. Read more here.
- It snowed in Las Vegas and everybody freaked out. Well, it’s officially pool season. The GO Pool at Flamingo opened this weekend. Read more here. Other day clubs will be opening throughout the month. Read about that here.
- The Ivey Room at Aria has been renamed. This could be filed under drama and you can read more here.
- Janet Jackson now has a Las Vegas residency. Metamorphosis starts on May 17 at Park MGM. Read more here.
- The Hearthstone Masters Tour will be at The Linq from June 14 to 16. Read more here.
- Elvis Presley’s Heartbreak Hotel in Concert starts at Harrah’s in April. Read the press release here.
- Breaking news: More people in Las Vegas are taking Uber and Lyft and fewer people are taking taxis! Read the paywall newspaper article w/o the paywall here.
- Major League Baseball asked the Nevada Gaming Control Board to stop taking Spring Training bets. Nevada politely declined the request. Read more here.
- If you’re into the clubs, KAOS at Palms revealed opening weekend events. There’s a lot going on. Read more here.
- Chick Fil A, Del Taco, Denny’s, Wahoo’s, and Walgreens will eventually open next to Palms. Read and see more here.
- Speaking of Palms, check out the new $100,000 per night Empathy Suite. It was designed by Station Casinos favorite artist Damien Hirst. See lots of pictures here.
- Nitro Circus is on hold at Bally’s. Unfortunately, I don’t expect to see this show open. Read more here.
- Bellagio debuted a new fountain show for “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga. Enjoy!
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker? Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork. Join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates. (Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series)