Vegas News April 26, 2020
On Friday I took a nice mellow drive to downtown Las Vegas. This was my first visit downtown since casinos closed. My primary objective was to grab some Pizza Rock to go. I took a longer route heading downtown to see how Circa Resort is progressing. The photo above is from Symphony Park (more on that another time) to show the scale of Circa vs. Plaza. It’s huge! Now, onto the Vegas News!
I shared a few other pics on twitter after I got home with my delicious pizza and meatballs. I passed by around 3 pm and there were lots of people working at the construction site.
Circa hit the halfway point in construction in December 2019. I look forward to getting up close again and then seeing the finished property later this year. The quick trip downtown was a fun reminder of things I’ve enjoyed – that we’ve enjoyed – in Las Vegas.
Sometimes Las Vegas Isn’t Even Las Vegas
There’s so much and so little happening in Las Vegas. It really is a tale of multiple cities. Sometimes Las Vegas isn’t even Las Vegas. The Vegas Strip is part of Clark County – not the city of Las Vegas. This probably isn’t news to most people reading TravelZork. This was news for much of the country this week. Moving on…
I’m fairly apolitical and don’t have a read on how Governor Sisolak thinks so I really have no idea when he’ll start to open up the city. That said all signs seem to be pointing to the locals part of town opening soon. The touristy parts Las Vegas appear as though they will follow. My thoughts could change by the time this is posted but that’s where I am right now.
Most of Vegas News this week will be quick hits for you to read yourself. I don’t feel as comfortable as usual to add color to something I don’t know much about – government. Ultimately the Governor controls when non-essential businesses will re-open.
Casinos and all businesses can posture however they want but they really don’t control when they will open. That said, there’s some news and you should know it.
Re-Opening Las Vegas Quick Hits
- One note before getting to Las Vegas. I thought this article about Singapore certifying hotels and attractions as being clean might be something that Las Vegas casino-resorts might consider. Read about it here.
- Certifying clean businesses seems like a good step forward to me. Jim Murren also thinks it’s useful to reference Macau’s reopening as an example. Read more here.
- Wynn Las Vegas has a 23-page health and safety plan for when it reopens. It’s long but a fairly easy read. Check it out here.
- Here are a couple of shorter articles if you just want a quick overview of the Wynnfo (that’s funny!). Vital Vegas pulled some useful information here. Vegas Inc. has a more traditional news article here.
- Treasure Island plans to open on May 15. It’s good to have a plan but this is meaningless if the Governor doesn’t allow it. Read more here if you have nothing better to do.
- Breaking news: MGM Resorts acting CEO says the company will operate differently when casinos reopen. There are no specifics so listed but this is news in 2020! Read more here.
- MGM Resorts has canceled reservations through May 21. Read more here.
- While we’re on the topic of MGM Resorts, the company saw a 29% dip in revenue in the first quarter. Read more here.
ZorkCast – TravelZork Live Webcast
Next LIVE Episode – May 6th, 2020
The Last Live Episode (15th April 2020) (with interactive Q&A)
Available now on YouTube
We discuss how casinos are treating their employees and if that will impact consumer behaviour when the casinos reopen.
✅Heather Ferris, CEO & Founder Vegas-Aces
✅Eric Rosenthal, teaches people how to travel for free and maximize value for your gambling dollar.
✅Timothy Lawson, One of the hosts and the creator of The Bettor Life podcast.
Next LIVE Episode – May 6th, 2020
🎥 SIGN UP TODAY! (Free Live “weekly” Webcast.)
Vegas News Quick Hits
Beyond reopening, there’s plenty still happening in Las Vegas. Some of the news is ‘rona related and some is just typical Vegas biz.
- The 2020 NFL Draft was supposed to take place in Las Vegas this weekend. That obviously didn’t happen. Don’t you fret, Las Vegas will host the 2022 NFL Draft. The locations will remain the same until MGM Resorts fills in the lake a Bellagio. Read more here.
- New Caesars is coming together. Eldorado Resorts sold two casinos. Read about that here. Meanwhile, Caesars and VICI sold Bally’s Atlantic City this week. Read about that here.
- The Penn National Gaming (PNG) sale of Tropicana is complete. PNG will continue to operate the casino. However, it appears as if the new landowner is already looking to flip the property. Read more here.
- Construction at Resorts World isn’t going as smoothly as Circa. There are more COVID-19 cases confirmed this week. Read more here.
- Las Vegas Sands (The Venetian) reported earnings this week. Most of the company is operated outside of the US so there’s not too much interesting as it pertains to Las Vegas. Read more here.
- Speaking of The Venetian, it looks like the sports book will be remodeled. Read more here.
- Vegas buffets are dead! Long live Vegas buffets! Eater has details on the renovations at the Caesars Palace buffet. Read about it here.
- This isn’t much of a surprise but Life Is Beautiful has been canceled. Read more here.
- There will be a virtual rave during the original EDC dates. Read more here.
- The World Series of Poker has been postponed until the fall. Read more here.
- Allegiant Stadium looks pretty sweet all lit up at night. See pics here.
Also, be sure to join the ZorkCast Group on FaceBook. This is the Facebook group to continue the conversation from the ZorkCast podcast and TravelZork website. Feel free to start a conversation related to anything TravelZork or ZorkCast.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker? Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork. Join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates. (Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series)
Our Guest For Next Episode:
Scott Roeben of Vital Vegas
Enjoy Prior Episodes on YouTube
Please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel!
20% off sitewide for people with interesting interests. Code INTERESTS
SHOP Casino Designs – Face Coverings/Face Masks