Vegas News December 18, 2023
Fontainebleau And Durango Open
Since the last Vegas news, two new casinos have opened in Las Vegas. Fontainebleau is open on the Vegas Strip, and Durango Resort is open about 15 minutes west of Mandalay Bay.
Durango Resort was the first of the two casinos to open. The off-strip casino is beautiful for a locals casino. The indoor/outdoor sportsbook and restaurant complex is fantastic and there are plenty of dining options.
Fontainebleau Las Vegas
Fontainebleau on the north end of the Vegas Strip finally opened more than a decade after construction started.
The casino is huge and beautiful. It might be too huge for me but that’s after a couple of laps and not being familiar with the layout of the property.
Fontainebleau can also feel like a mall or airport when you’re not in the casino. My initial opinions are mixed because it’s a beautiful casino that hasn’t been around long enough to have a vibe or soul like some of my favorite casinos over the years.
Fontainebleau Changes Over The Years
There will be changes to the property over the years. Right now, Fontainebleau isn’t using any of the strip frontage for bars or restaurants. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that change in a few years.
Either way, Las Vegas is better for having two new casinos and I can’t wait to explore both of them.
Here’s some Fontainebleau Las Vegas news:
- You can see the opening night press releases here and here.
- Fontainebleau operated its sportsbook. There’s some kind of Station Casinos connection but I don’t have specifics. Anyway, you can read the house rules here.
- You can read about Fontainebleau Rewards more here, here and you can listen to more below.
- Evidently, Lapis Spa has transformative treatments. Read more here.
- The retail area at Fontainebleau is up a giant escalator. Read more here.
- Fontainebleau has a bunch of art. Read more here.
The Original Model – Fontainebleau Las Vegas
Last but never least, you can see the original model of Fontainebleau below.
That’s enough Fontainebleau news. Let’s see what else is happening in and around Las Vegas.
Las Vegas Quick Hits
- The Bellagio conservatory and botanical gardens is decked out for Christmas. This is usually my favorite of the year but the Nutcracker theme is kind of boring to me. Read about the display here.
- M Resort broke ground on the new hotel tower owner Penn Entertainment announced last year. This should open by the summer of 2025. Read more here.
- The table games have returned to Tuscany. Read more here.
- BetMGM is finally bringing the sports betting app it uses around the country to Las Vegas. You can read more about that and some non-Las Vegas info from the BetMGM investor day here.
- The Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art Gallery has a new exhibition. Read more here.
- Punk Rock Bowling announced its 2024 dates and lineup. See the video below.
- Bruno Mars has more shows at Park MGM next year. Read more here.
- Maroon 5 also announced more shows at Park MGM for next year. Read more here.
- Carrie Underwood extended her residency at Resorts World. Read more here.
- The Netflix Slam tennis match with Rafael Nadal and Carlos Alcaraz will take place at Mandalay Bay on March 3. Read more here.
- Speaking of Mandalay Bay, Michael Mina’s Orla opens on Jan 16. Read more here.
- Jodeci’s first Las Vegas residency will be at Mandalay Bay next year. Read more here.
- Wu Tang Clan will also have its first Las Vegas residency. Shows will take place at Virgin. Read more here.
- Vital Vegas has details on where New Year’s Eve fireworks in Las Vegas will be shot into the sky from here.
- Guy Fieri is doing a Super Bowl tailgate party in the Linq parking lot. You can register for a free ticket here.
- There was a time when the Maxim Super Bowl party was the bee’s knees. Not sure where it stands now. Read more here.
- T-Mobile Arena is adding some sensory pods. Read more here.
- The LVCVA monthly news brief is a good read if you’re looking for some of the mainstream activities in Las Vegas. Check it out here.
- StubHub says “Vegas redefined the live event experience.” Read about that here.
- The owner of the South Point purchased two casinos in Colorado. Read more here.
- I saw U2 at The Sphere during my winter break. I’m not much of a fan anymore but the venue made the show amazing. Videos and photos cannot do the venue justice. If you’re a fan and can afford the tickets, I recommend checking out the show. If you’re curious you can watch the entire show below.
Also, be sure to join the ZorkCast Group on FaceBook.
This is the Facebook group to continue the conversation from the ZorkCast podcast and TravelZork website. Feel free to start a conversation related to anything TravelZork or ZorkCast.
Casino and Vegas Newsletter
(Newsletter Now Has EXCLUSIVE Tips and Commentary Each Week!)