I try to keep my love of sports to a minimum for Vegas News. I know that not everyone who loves Las Vegas has the same passion for sitting in a sportsbook that I have. However, we need to begin with a little sports talk.
The first weekend of March Madness is the best sports weekend in Las Vegas!
Even though the events don’t take place in Las Vegas this has become the place to be for major sports. The Super Bowl was the big sports event in Las Vegas when I first started visiting. In recent years the first weekend of March Madness has been neck and neck with “The Big Game” in Las Vegas. Last year the madness showed that it was ready to take its place as the best time for sports fans to be in Las Vegas. That was cemented this year.
There wasn’t a seat to be found in any sportsbook by the time the first game of the tournament tipped off at 9am on Thursday. The crowds in sportsbooks all over town were busting at the seams by noon. The video above was taken around 9pm on Thursday night after the University of Maryland – Baltimore County defeated the University of Virginia. There were many videos like this taken throughout the college basketball tournament.
The long weekend is topped off with Spring Breakers visiting Las Vegas every year and St. Patrick’s Day falling during the event 4 out of 7 years. The excitement and belligerence in the casino during the first weekend of March Madness cannot be matched.
Okay, from a fun WTF to a serious WTF…Here’s the real madness of the week in Las Vegas
Kind Heaven Coming To The Linq In 2019
The press release describes Kind Heaven as an experience that will “take visitors on a sensual exotic journey that offers the best of Southeast Asian culture, music, food, danger, fashion, exoticism, exploration, mystery and spiritual enlightenment.”
Kind Heaven is a strange concept. They plan to feature virtual and augmented reality, holograms, robots, dining and experienced based drinking. The concept comes from the warped mind of Perry Farrell lead singer of Jane’s Addiction and founder of Lollapalooza. Everything you see at Kind Heaven will supposedly be available for purchase but you won’t be able to use cash. This will be a cashless experience.
Got it yet?
I’m still not sure if the monkey’s at Kind Heaven will be virtual, holograms or robots. The new four-story experience is scheduled to open in August 2019. The vision is confusing and unique. I suspect the marketing folks at Caesars Entertainment will have to water some of the ideas down for their very mainstream customers.
This week Golden Entertainment announced a three-year redevelopment of the Stratosphere. The changes and upgrades will cost approximately $140 million. About 20% of that is budgeted for 2018.
Highlights of the Stratosphere three year redevelopment plan include:
· A complete renovation of over 1,100 rooms.
· The addition of a gastro-brewery that will feature Golden Entertainment’s signature branded craft beer and menu. You can see their beer menu here.
· A remodel and upgrade of the race and sports book.
· Addition of a new steakhouse, noodle bar, and other food outlets.
· A refresh of the Top of the World restaurant and Tower experience
· The installation of state-of-the-art digital signage and lighting for the property exterior. Maybe this will keep people from driving into the side of the casino.
· The creation of a casino area located near access to the tower thrill rides.
· The transformation of existing unused space into approximately 50,000 square feet of meeting space targeted at modest-sized groups and conventions.
The changes planned for Stratosphere aren’t out of the box but definitely needed. I look forward to seeing how this all turns out. Between the casinos and taverns there’s a lot of potential for Golden Entertainment.
Steak ‘n Shake Open At Hooters Casino
There seems to be a passion for Steak ‘n Shake that rivals other regional burger chains. The location at the South Point is almost always busy and I think we might see the same at the new location inside Hooters. Besides being near the Vegas Strip, there are a couple of things that are special for this location.
Beginning April 2, this Steak ‘n Shake will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The South Point location closes at 1 am. Boo! In addition to seating for more than 200 guests, there is a takeout counter and bar. The bar offers video poker.
I know more than a few people that will enjoy the ability to play video poker while drinking booze and a milkshake while eating a burger without moving from their barstool.
Drink Monitoring Finally Reaches The Westgate
About 10 months ago (Vegas News 5/14/17) we told you that the Westgate would be installing drink monitoring systems at the bars. Well, they’ve taken it a different direction than originally planned. The local media are pitching this as an automated drink system similar to what you see at The Venetian and The Palazzo. But wait…there’s more!
Vital Vegas actually tested the product and sees it a bit differently. For starters, the new automated drink system is at slot machines on the casino floor. More importantly, it actually doubles as a “slow your roll” drink monitoring system. You can only order drinks every 15 minutes. Add a few minutes for delivery and you’re looking at three drinks per hour.
Scott notes that higher tier card members can order premium liquor instead of well liquor.
This section used to be a break in the middle of the news but it seems to have found a home at the end of the week in news. Enjoy a few more bits of news.
- The old sportsbook at The Cosmopolitan will become some kind of Chinese market, restaurant or both. Read more here.
- The new pool complex is open at Park MGM/Monte Carlo. Read more here.
- Hakkasan is interested in getting into the hotel business. Read more here.
This reminds me of a rumor in 2014 that one of the towers at MGM Grand would become their first hotel. Read more here.
- I’m pretty sure Wynn Paradise Park will no longer have a hotel. This profile on Wynn nightlife and every other piece of media I’ve seen recently refers to three Wynn Las Vegas hotel towers – Wynn, Encore, Wynn West (across the street).
- Speaking of Wynn and the media. They’re partnering with the Vegas Golden Knights. Read more here. Don’t worry, The D is still the official downtown Las Vegas casino of the hockey team.
- The local population in Nevada is nearing 3 million people. Read more here.
- The World Cup isn’t coming to Las Vegas. Read more here.
- The Flamingo Go Pool just announced its entertainment lineup for the summer. Poolside gaming returns! Read more here.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs and video poker?
Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork.
Please join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates.
(Email is sent weekly on Monday afternoon Eastern Time, and includes our popular weekly Vegas news series) All verified subscribers are entered into a MONTHLY contest to win a $50 eGift card.
As long as you remain subscribed, contest is ongoing and you have a chance to win every month.
Click==> Top Flight Deals Updated Daily
Waldorf Astoria Las Vegas – Suite Escape Stay 2 nights and get the 3rd night on us.