Vegas News June 14, 2021
The Great Vegas Comeback (Continued)
The Great Vegas Comeback (™) is showing visible signs of progress. There’s been much preparation to return to normal, but we actually see progress right before our eyes. It’s nice to actually see the changes (like positive news with Vegas Rideshares) rather than hear about the plans for change.
One of the big problems when visitors started returning to Las Vegas in high volumes was the lack of Vegas Rideshares available. Well, the government rescinded the ban on surge charging, and drivers are coming back.
“We’ve seen a lot more drivers come back onto the platform. Earnings for drivers have nearly doubled since February 2021”Uber Spokesman Javi Correoso via LAS VEGAS (FOX5)
According to Fox Las Vegas, 90% of Uber rides are now being picked up. That’s up from 50% last month. About 75% of current Uber drivers on the street today are previous drivers for the company. It appears they’re making more money which should bring the Vegas Rideshares service back to pre-Covid standards.
New Buffalo – Wild Wild Buffalo
Here’s another sign of progress in casinos around the country. There’s another new BUFFALOOOOOOOO slot machine. Wild Wild Buffalo (Similar to Tarzan) should be appearing in casinos any minute.
Seriously, what’s more normal in casinos today than a Buffalo slot machine? Aristocrat is partnering with the Silverton on another new Buffalo slot machine. This one is called Buffalo Link and is similar to Dragon Link.
Oh yeah, Silverton is home to a slot room called Buffalo Crossing where you can play a bunch of different BUFFALOOOOOO games! The Silverton is a unique casino. I highly recommend it if you’ve never been and are looking for something new. It’s been a while for me, but the scent on the casino floor reminded me of Christmas time.
Casino Loyalty – Wynn Status Match
The most recent exciting news is that Wynn is offering a status match from other casino loyalty programs. We know that many readers enjoy these types of matches, so we wanted to share the details we have obtained from Wynn Rewards. As with many of these types of promotions, especially when they are not listed on their website (yet), they could end at any time. Lots of ‘scoop here!
Las Vegas Quick Hits
It was a pretty mellow news week in Las Vegas when you remove the deluge of entertainment announcements. That said, there’s still plenty of information about what’s happening in and around Las Vegas today and tomorrow.
Quick Hits – Keep The Progress Train Moving
- Let’s keep the current progress train moving. The Las Vegas Convention Center (LVCC) expansion is officially open. Read about that here.
- The mainstream media seemed a bit more emotional than usual about a conference. It’s understandable as the World of Concrete conference was the first major event at the LVCC in more than a year. Read more here.
- Unfortunately, not everything is back to normal. Las Vegas businesses are still having a tough time finding workers. Lotus of Siam had to close one of its locations for this reason. Read more here.
- A post-Covid world is different. The Hustler Club is touting that all of its entertainers and staff are vaccinated. Read more here.
- Caesars sent out a press release that Harrah’s Las Vegas $200 million renovation is complete. I’m sure most of this was done already but it’s news because there’s a press release and new pictures of the de-themed casino. Read more here.
- There is one new thing at Harrah’s Las Vegas. There’s now a connector bridge to the Caesars Forum Convention Center.
- The Fremont Street Experience released a batch of free concerts with national touring bands. Don’t be surprised to see a few more drop in as tours are confirmed. Read more here.
- The Encore tower at Wynn is officially dog-friendly. Yes, there’s an additional fee for your dog to stay just like Caesars Palace Las Vegas, MGM and Cosmopolitan. Read more here.
- Budget-conscious visitors who want to travel with pets might want to consider Virgin. The off-strip property doesn’t charge an extra fee if your dog is staying with you. Read more here.
- Speaking of Virgin Las Vegas, the property finally held a grand opening party this week. Read more here.
- Élia Beach Club opening was part of the festivities at/Virgin this week. Read more here.
- Boyd has a deal with its B-Connected players club and Hawaiian Airlines. Read more here.
- The land across the street from Mandalay Bay won’t be used for a giant ferris wheel. It could become a parking lot. Or a casino. Or something else. Read more here.
- Tickets for the reopened Cirque Du Soleil shows are selling so well, that the company seems to be expediting opening “Love,” “Michael Jackson One” and “Ka.” Read more here.
- Kardashian Kloset is opening at Resorts World. Read more here. Fun fact, I was in an episode of Keeping Up With The Kardashians while eating at Heritage Steakhouse at The Mirage years ago. That wasn’t the first time I was on a reality TV show and probably won’t be the last time.
- The Plaza is already selling tickets for its Super Bowl party in 2022. Read more here.
Quick Hits – Do you know what “grinds my gears?”
- Do you know what really grinds my gears? When Las Vegas newspapers and TV stations don’t realize that those playing poker-based carny games aren’t the same gamblers as poker players. Read more here.
- America’s Got Talent Live is coming to Luxor in November. Read more here.
- Pro basketball is coming to Vegas this summer. In July, the US Men’s and Women’s Olympic basketball teams plan to play some games in Las Vegas. Of course, the Olympics could be cancelled so be cautious about making plans. Read more about the games here and the possible cancelation of the Olympics here.
- The NBA Summer League returns to the campus of UNLV on August 8. This has always been a great entertainment value. As the website says you can “Enjoy up to 8 games a day for less than the price of a Las Vegas buffet!” Read more here.
- The Tyson Fury v. Deontay Wilder rematch will take place at T-Mobile Arena instead of Allegiant Stadium as previously rumored. Read more here.
Also, be sure to join the ZorkCast Group on FaceBook. This is the Facebook group to continue the conversation from the ZorkCast podcast and TravelZork website. Feel free to start a conversation related to anything TravelZork or ZorkCast.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs, and video poker? Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork. Join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates. (Email is sent weekly on Monday and now includes EXCLUSIVE tips and commentary!)